Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Itchy Bug Bites (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/itchy-bug-bites-t186620.html)

momto5 04-20-2012 05:48 PM

Try drinking some quinine water...(tonic water)....it has quinine in it and should help. I take quinine every day and one of the "good" side effects is that mosquitos don't come within 20 feet of me.

ranbro 04-21-2012 03:28 AM

It would also help to wear long pants and long sleeve shirts while cutting the grass. That would keep a lot of the bugs off of you.

TanyaL 04-21-2012 05:03 AM

Do you use hairspray, scented shampoo, deodorant, hand lotion, perfume, scented hand soap or laundry soap, etc? These products turn you into a fragrant flower that attracts bugs.

Dawn227 04-21-2012 05:10 AM

Wendy,
I can so relate! When I go out to garden I spray a fogger and that helps alot! Sometimes I put alcohol on my bite to help with itching but recently I use After Bite. It is easy to carry much like an epi pen.
www.theitcheraser.com
Good luck
dawn227

GiGi 04-21-2012 05:26 AM

Rub alcohol on your legs and arms; I didn't believe it but it works! An elderly lady shared it with me as flies are very bad here in the summer to me. Tks. G

Challys 04-21-2012 07:20 AM

I am plagued with terrible itching from bites. My husband swear by Anti Itch cream from Rite Aid, but my very favorite is a product called After Bite. Hope one of these work for you.

Rose_P 04-21-2012 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by bignan 1935 (Post 5155616)
I take garlique every day and it keeps them from biting me. I have heard about giving garlic to dogs i think you have to keep it up not just once in a while.

Check with your vet before giving garlic to your pet. It contains a substance than can cause kidney damage in small animals if they get too much.

pawebdoctor 04-21-2012 08:53 AM

An old farmers tip, which I use all the time (when I'm working in the garden)... Vick's Vapor Rub. I put a dab or two on each temple, my hairline above my far head, on my neck, under my chin, and at the back of my neck. This has been remarkable effective in keeping bugs away from my face... especially when working outside in the evening. A bonus to me is that I love the smell... but not all my loved ones feel the same.

P.S. I've been using the same jar for eons.

pioneerlady 04-21-2012 09:03 AM

To stop the itch put deoderant on it, like ban. Whaterever the ingredient in that brand is, works to stop the itch. What I have now doesn't have that ingredient. A friend told me that 30 years ago and it does work.

Dakota Girl 04-21-2012 09:33 AM

My daughter has been allergic to bites since she was a small baby. She had to sleep surrounded by misquito netting. She has been hospitalized three times for treatment of severe allergic reactions. She finally went to a new allergist and he
skin tested her for allergies to the bugs habitat not the bugs saliva and Bingo, there were the allergies. This sounds crazy
but she was put on a "non sleepy" antihistamine and an anti acid drug daily, when spring starts. It works well...if anyone
would like to know the names of these over the counter drugs, I can find out.