Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Items Made For Our Quilt Guild (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/items-made-our-quilt-guild-t200588.html)

twinkie 09-15-2012 05:21 PM

Items Made For Our Quilt Guild

5 Attachment(s)
Our quilt guild will have their annual Quilt Show the last part of October. Because of my injury in April, I will not be able to help as much as usual. We have an area outside of one of the buildings the quilts are displayed in where we sell home made, quilt related items. This is a large fund raiser for our guild and helps to raise money for the scholarships we give away each year. I haven't been able to do a lot of items for us to sell this year. This is a few of the items I have made in the last few days. The pictures are not very good on some of them but I just wanted to share. Making pin cushions out of every day knick knacks is one of my passions. Thought they might sell okay because of the many quilters that are going to visit the show. Here they are. Sorry there are so many, guess I just got carried away. Thanks for looking.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]362993[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]362994[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]362995[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]362996[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]362997[/ATTACH]

deedum 09-15-2012 05:37 PM

adorable! You do have the passion!! Love them all! Good luck with your show! Please let us know how it went! Would love to hear about it!

IBQLTN 09-15-2012 08:09 PM

Marvelous! I've been buying up old knick knacks for the same purpose. Started the first one today and can't seem to get the dimensions of the fiberfill quite right. Any words of wisdom?

I'm also making pin 'cakes' out of polar fleece. I think they will turn out nicely.

Prism99 09-15-2012 11:02 PM

Those are FABULOUS! To me they are works of art rather than craft items. I am envious of your talent! :hunf:

burchquilts 09-16-2012 01:22 AM

Oh, those are adorable! I love them! I wish I lived close enough to come to your show!

twinkie 09-16-2012 03:54 AM

I am sure I will get permission to post pictures of the show. Wish you were close enough also

twinkie 09-16-2012 04:01 AM

First, I try to picture the finished product in my mind. Second, I pick out a fabric that will compliment the piece or coordinate with it. Then I cut my material twice as large as the opening I am covering. I then start with a circle of fabric and begin stitching (by hand) around the edge of the circle. When I get it 7/8 of the way stitched up, I put my poly fil in it. When it is almost stitched together and before I put the polyfil in it, I gather it into almost a pouch. I stuff it until the pouch is full and then I complete the stitch and pull up tight until the opening that was gathered is about the size of a half dollar. If the polyfil does not want to stay in, I pull my thread across the bottom making a little "net" to secure the polyfil into it. Would love for you to post a picture of your pin cakes. It might give me another idea. Thanks for the kind words.

Originally Posted by IBQLTN (Post 5517419)
Marvelous! I've been buying up old knick knacks for the same purpose. Started the first one today and can't seem to get the dimensions of the fiberfill quite right. Any words of wisdom?

I'm also making pin 'cakes' out of polar fleece. I think they will turn out nicely.

alwayslearning 09-16-2012 06:27 AM

You are a talented individual. Thanks for sharing.

Kathy T. 09-16-2012 08:46 AM

You sure have a creative eye when it comes to picking the right fabrics for the little containers! They are all adorable and I would snap up several if I were there! Hope they raise a bundle for your group.

rush88888 09-17-2012 03:33 AM

how do you secure the filled circle into the tea cup or whatever? then, how do you secure the strip of fabric or ribbon around the cup?