Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   japan earthquake (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/japan-earthquake-t106774.html)

Momsmurf 03-13-2011 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by redquilter
Thoughts and prayers to all in Japan and Hawaii and the west coast of the U.S.

Thoughts and prayers especially for all in Japan. I do hope to we can hear from our Japanese quilters once they feel they are able to contact us. There is such a large area without power.

I'm originally from Hawaii and I can tell one and all that although there was some damage, it is really minimal compared to Japan. My contacts are on the Big Island and Kona got the brunt of the wave. Most importantly, there were no injuries just some property damage.

Gaijin 03-13-2011 07:58 PM

I work at the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo and the initial earthquake was so scary and measured about a 7 in downtown Tokyo. We have had 100's of aftershocks, which are as bad as regular earthquakes. That night everyone had to go home with friends, sleep in their offices, or sleep in the streets. Many trains are still not running. But we are OK and many people have been working around the clock to help others.
When I got beneath my desk after directing my staff to do the same, I thought it was all over! We survived and our hearts go out to our neighbors in the north- no homes, missing family members, and the current danger of radiation.
If you feel the need to donate money, be sure an give it to a reputable organization! Perhaps the Red Cross, as they probably have used all the supplies they have on hand. About 380,000 people are in some type of shelter and the death toll will be enormous.
Thank you for voicing your concern. Yokohama is near Tokyo, but to the south. Your friend should be fine.

madamekelly 03-13-2011 11:10 PM

Please excuse very bad spelling- Do itashe mashi tay. God bless.

burnsk 03-15-2011 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Gaijin
I work at the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo and the initial earthquake was so scary and measured about a 7 in downtown Tokyo. We have had 100's of aftershocks, which are as bad as regular earthquakes. That night everyone had to go home with friends, sleep in their offices, or sleep in the streets. Many trains are still not running. But we are OK and many people have been working around the clock to help others.
When I got beneath my desk after directing my staff to do the same, I thought it was all over! We survived and our hearts go out to our neighbors in the north- no homes, missing family members, and the current danger of radiation.
If you feel the need to donate money, be sure an give it to a reputable organization! Perhaps the Red Cross, as they probably have used all the supplies they have on hand. About 380,000 people are in some type of shelter and the death toll will be enormous.
Thank you for voicing your concern. Yokohama is near Tokyo, but to the south. Your friend should be fine.

I just found this thread. Thank you for your very informative post. Glad that you are OK. Prayers going up daily for the people of Japan.

madamekelly 03-15-2011 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Gaijin

Please continue to let us know how you are doing. You are in our prayers!

conniebrooks 03-16-2011 01:54 PM

My thoughts and prayers are with you and everyone during this disaster. My heart goes out for all people in Japan

cla8655 03-16-2011 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
I have a friend in Kohoku,Yokohama Kanagawa,Japan,.
anyone know if that area is affected? I'm trying to see on maps now.
pics
http://poleshift.ning.com/profiles/blog/show?id=3863141:BlogPost:367095&commentId=3863141:Comment:367194& xg_source=activity

thank you for posting that site, very sad situation, I will pray for your friend

Pat G 03-20-2011 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by redquilter
Thoughts and prayers to all in Japan and Hawaii and the west coast of the U.S.

I was in Hawaii the wk this event happened. On Waikiki beach at 10pm, an emergency alarm went off in the whole area. I didn't know what was going on til I turned on the TV. Then I knew we could be in for a major disaster since they feared the tsunami would hit the Hawaiian islands.

We were confined to our hotel & told to stay above the 5th floor. We were on the 14th. I watched the water from my balcony all night. Boats were told to get out into deep water & ride it out. I saw their lights way out in the distance. I was terrified since I had seen pix of these hitting other places in the past.
Apparently parts of the islands were affected but the most we got in Waikiki was slightly higher water. By morn. it receded. We were able to get out to the airport (no traffic was allowed into town though) & mainland flights were leaving. Interisland flights were either delayed or cancelled. I was so grateful to get away from the ocean although I do love it.

It's horrifying to see what happened to Japan since it could have been Hawaii as well. My heart goes out to them.