Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   The Jubilee Flotilla (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/jubilee-flotilla-t190686.html)

DottyD 06-03-2012 06:21 AM

The Jubilee Flotilla

I am watching the Flotilla on the river Thames to celebrate the Queens Diamond Jubilee - and I can honestly say - it is a truely wonderful experience to watch. I will never see anything so lavish and colourful again in my lifetime. The last time this happened was over a hundred years ago to celebrate Queen Victoria's Diamond jubilee. A thousand boats are sailing down the river from all over the Commonwealth and I am so proud to be able to watch. It is very wet and cold here today, which is such a shame - as it was so warm last Sunday. The whole Royal Family look amazing, in their Uniforms and outfits. It has been estimated over a million spectators will line the banks of the Thames to watch. It is so great to see how many people are joining in the celebrations. If you get a chance to see any of this on your TV, where ever you are - it is well worth watching.
DttyD in England, UK.

Georgiegirl2012 06-03-2012 06:40 AM

I agree, it's a wonderful spectacle, and it's nice to see the Royals together and looking so happy. I appreciate that not everybody is a fan of the Royal family, but just like the Royal Wedding last year, for the majority of people, it's great to have an excuse to have a day away from reality and enjoy the pageantry that Britain does so well.

But I admit I got a bit bored with it all, and I'm going to my dining room to try and finish sorting it out, so that I can get down to some sewing and play with my new machine that I've had for 2 weeks now and not had a chance to test it out.

SueSew 06-03-2012 07:07 AM

It's lovely - I am just peeking at it on the BBC video feed. Gives me goose bumps! But then, with a loyal English grandma, I was indoctrinated into the whole British royalty thing way early. Hurrah!

DogHouseMom 06-03-2012 07:19 AM

My hubby and I are glued to it. He's English. It certainly is beautiful ... the War-Horse was amazing!!

It's nice looking at all the sights and remembering being there. I've walked that river many times.

Ahh ... there goes the Tower Bridge going up!!

ptquilts 06-03-2012 07:29 AM

congrats to all our friends in the UK on this happy day!! Hope to be able to visit over there someday.

QuiltnNan 06-03-2012 08:22 AM

i'm sue it is spectacular! i saw a tad on the USA news this am... what a terrific celebration! too bad about the weather :(
can anyone really imagine doing the same job for 60 years!?!
London is one of my favorite cities in the whole world :)

Jan in VA 06-03-2012 09:16 AM

Drat, I missed it!:( Hopefully a repeat will be shown later.
I fondly remember seeing the coronation of this queen on television when I was a child.

Jan in VA

Pat M. 06-03-2012 10:05 AM

When I was 10 yrs old she became queen and now she is 60 years into her reign!

DogHouseMom 06-03-2012 11:49 AM

Bless her ... I don't think she sat down once the entire flotilla. I watched until her barge docked just east of the Tower Bridge.

AuntieD 06-03-2012 12:26 PM

My Mom and I watched it on CNN. It was truly a wonderful event to watch. We lived in England from 1952-1955 when my Dad was stationed in Burtonwood. The last Choral Group were real troopers, singing while being totally drenched. Hope to see more events this week.