Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   June2011 Weight Loss Adventure and Prize! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/june2011-weight-loss-adventure-prize-t126896.html)

MissyGirl 06-05-2011 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by IAmCatOwned
Guess I can't participate this month. Couldn't find the thread until today and it's the 5th already. oh well.. Good luck on your losses this month!

Stephanie

I wish you wouls still play along with us even if you aren't able to get the fabric! I decided that starting this month I will continue on the challenge but because I have had the weight loss surgery I do not want to be the winner for the FQs.

You guys are such incredible people that I have been full of such admiration of all your hard work that I would be lonely without knowing how you are doing. Plus so many of you have been following my journey and I want them to know how I am doing too.

I have really come to care deeply for those on this challenge. I worry about you all when I don't hear from you.

Anyway...I say all of that to say that I want you around whether you are eligible to win the FQs.

Missy

lawsonmugs 06-05-2011 01:18 PM

yes join us and give some encouragement and get some too. The Fat quarter justs add to the fun.I'ts worth a fat quarter to lose weight. Next month you can join early and maybe win the fq.I only lost 4 lbs but at least I didn't gain another lb. Enough of that. A couple days ago i finally got my cherry tomatoes planted in the garden. yesterday my husband tilled the rest of the garden so i now have to plant the rest. So much rain stopped us from planting. now it is 96* and that is stopping me. Guess i will do a small amount at a time. just like my weight loss. Oh no not back to that subject.lol. everyone have a great day. good luck to you on your weigh in Missy. mary

MissyGirl 06-05-2011 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by lawsonmugs
yes join us and give some encouragement and get some too. The Fat quarter justs add to the fun.I'ts worth a fat quarter to lose weight. Next month you can join early and maybe win the fq.I only lost 4 lbs but at least I didn't gain another lb. Enough of that. A couple days ago i finally got my cherry tomatoes planted in the garden. yesterday my husband tilled the rest of the garden so i now have to plant the rest. So much rain stopped us from planting. now it is 96* and that is stopping me. Guess i will do a small amount at a time. just like my weight loss. Oh no not back to that subject.lol. everyone have a great day. good luck to you on your weigh in Missy. mary

Thank you so much Mary! I will post my weigh in results when I get home tomorrow!

Missy

Xylie55 06-05-2011 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by nancia
small victory this morning! had to take my husband to the train and went past my very, very, most favorite, best bakery, not once, but twice. i thought about getting donuts, or pastries, my son is visiting and they'd make a nice treat for him, and, I DIDN'T. i just drove on by. to the world this means nothing, a big ho-hum, but you know what i'm talking about! i have to prove to myself every day that i mean it. i'm in it to lose it.
xylie, thanks for the encouragement! i have a huge problem with not eating, and then when i do, i eat the wrong stuff. i know better, but it's my pattern. aren't we all here because we have food issues? your idea about the soup is excellent, and the salad. this time of year i could eat my weight in freshies! i plan to take advantage of it.my husband is away for the week so my challenge is to have meals. i'm thinking seriously about the frozen dinner idea. i need to lose weight and dh needs to gain. two horses on the carousel, one up, one down! so this week i don't have to worry about him, i can focus on losing. i hope everyone has a great day! the weather is just perfect here, not too hot or cold. hope yours is wonderful, too!

Ya,I would do the meals too while he's gone.It's just hubby and me,I still fix him his,then fix me mine.If he wants a dinner of something else.Sometimes,we eat the same,sometimes we don't.There was a time,I only ate salads at dinner time.I got on the scales today,and I've lost 4 pounds since the 1st of June.Yeah!Was shocked.So now am 164 pounds.And like I said,I don't go hungry.In fact I also go down the soup isle at walmart,and when I get to the 'HORMEL' dinners that cost only $1.98 each,and are only 250 to 330 calories generally,I grab a bunch.Esp the chix alfrado,it is so good.Only I get one for each of us,because their just not big enough to share.I found out about those from hubby's step daughter yrs ago.Didn't even know HORMEL had a line of 'COMPLETE DINNERS'.Their not that big,but enough for one.I especially like their stew,too.Some I don't care for,like the chili beans w/potatoes.Yuk!Anyway,every time you get hungry,grab one of those once in a while too.Switch it up from fruits,vegies,and the soup thing.They'll fill you up and are low caloprie.I don't do candy,pop,chips,or any junk food at all.Hubby's step daughter was 330 pounds,and went on fen fen and ate these with a salad,and lost over 100 pounds.Made a believer out of me.Sadly tho,they quite the fen fen,and she started eating again.Got off the dinners.And gained to I bet 500 pounds,she was huge.Her belly was to her knees.She died last xmas from obesiety at only 59 yrs old.Sad.So,that's another reason I'm serious about getting and keeping it off.Well,I expect you to lose while he's gone.And if you have to kick start it,get some spirutien {from the health food store} no off brand,they don't work,and go to walmart and get their non dairy creamer.Mix 1 cup of hot water with 1 cup of creamer,stir to disolved,then pour in to a blender,add cold water to 1 qt.Put in 2 scoops spiruteine,blend.Add some ice too.Let it set a bit,it thickens up like crazy.Drink that when you get hungry throughout the day.You will drop weight like mad.And take multivitamins.Sometimes I do just the spirutien for 3 weeks.It cleanses your system or detoxes it from all the junk food etc,The 1st week is the worst,as it's harder,the 2nd week is better.The 3rd week your not even hungry,and your on a natural high and feel really really good.By then you should of lost 15 to 25 pounds give or take.Of course that's not for every body either.That stuff melts fat from the enzymes it has in it.It's expensive,but works.Google it and see if it's for you.I always have some on hand.Like now I'm losing again,but if I wasn't,I'd go on it for 3 weeks to kick start the losing again.Anyway,keep it up.Your doing what you need to do.No reason why you won't lose this month.Now,you have no excuses.

MissyGirl 06-05-2011 02:25 PM

Xyliee,

Oh my word. I am so sorry to hear about your step-daughter. Before I started my weight loss journey I weighed 475.5 pounds. I was so big. My belly (or as the surgeon calls it: my pannus) is BIG. Right now it hits about mid thigh. I absolutely HATE it. The surgeon told me that once I get down to around my goal weight or around 200 or so, they will begin the process of me getting the abdominoplasty or a lower body lift. I am most embarrassed about my belly. The surgeon has said that as the weight begins to come off the belly will go south even more. Nothing I can do about that. There is no amount of exercise that will take that away because I was/am so very big.

This is something that I do not discuss with anyone but my mom and my therapist. It is a source of utter humiliation for me. Weighing myself is a real challenge outside of the hospital. A scale may say it goes to 440 pounds but because I am so wide (in all directions) it does not weigh me accurately and always results it it reading as error. The only scale that weighs me accurately is the one at the hospital. It goes to 1,000 pounds and is much wider than I am so I know that when that scale says 392.0 that is exactly what I weigh. I thank God daily for the surgeon and the nurses in the Bariatric Center because they jump up and down with me when I lose and shed tears with me when I have gained. I love them as if they were my family. They have been following me a long time and when I went in the day I went to SIoux Falls to have my surgery, they cried with me knowing I have exceeded my weight loss goal by 8 pounds and would then be able to have the surgery I had longed for for so many years. When I weigh in tomorrow it will be one more step that they will take with me. I love those people.

I worked so hard for so long to get this surgery because I knew without a doubt that if I did not have the weight loss surgery I would die from complications of obesity. I never EVER considered this surgery a quick fix. It has always been a tool that I will use to regain my life and to get healthy.

I am actually in the category of super morbidly obese and I am yearning for the day when I am just obese.

There are not many of us that are in this bad category that will openly discuss their challenges and victories. Most all of the people I have come across of this group and the other forums I am on are in the 200s or maybe the lower 300s. I have never "met" anyone online who is at my weight or above it. I seem to be the heaviest everywhere I go.

In my past I would have retreated from any sort of discussion like this because of my embarrassment but I have decided that shining a light on my situation and exposing the challenges, victories and all of that might help one person know that they are not alone and that they do not have to wait until they have to be cut out of their house to get help. There is support, help, concern and love for them where ever they are in their journey towards becoming healthy.

I hope writing this does not upset anyone. I just wanted to say that maybe there is someone lurking on here that may be in my category of poor health that needs a friend. Write me, call me, reach out to me. I am here to help and to encourage and to care.

Love to all.

Missy

DanaNVa 06-05-2011 02:32 PM

Do you really want to use the creamer? It's corn syrup. Milk protein shakes would be better.

quilthappygail 06-05-2011 02:50 PM

Hi everyone. It's a perfect day here in the high desert of Ca. I've been in the yard most of the day and just came in and looked at myself in the mirror and got a little to much sun my face and arms are a bit to pink but that will fade in a day or two. Been good eating so far today had cold cereal and fruit for breakfast and egg salad on a bed of lettuce with fresh veggies for lunch. Not going to have the Sunday dinner of years past just can't eat that way anymore. It will be a cup of soup and a salad and fruit for dessert.
Missy so happy your first dinner out turned out well and I can't wait to see how much more you have lost since surgery.
Xylie I think I'll try some of those dinners you talked about and when I go to the health food store for our green tea I'll check out the Spirutien sounds like just what I need to get moving if you get my drift. lol
Nancia Good for you I know how hard it is to pass up things you like and especially when you DS would enjoy that sort of treat
Stephanie I will look forward to posts from you and welcome. As far as FQ's I have as much chance of winning a FQ as a snowball in h---
I just get so much from all who are on this journey to a healthy life.
Hugs to all
Gail

MissyGirl 06-05-2011 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by quilthappygail
Hi everyone. It's a perfect day here in the high desert of Ca. I've been in the yard most of the day and just came in and looked at myself in the mirror and got a little to much sun my face and arms are a bit to pink but that will fade in a day or two. Been good eating so far today had cold cereal and fruit for breakfast and egg salad on a bed of lettuce with fresh veggies for lunch. Not going to have the Sunday dinner of years past just can't eat that way anymore. It will be a cup of soup and a salad and fruit for dessert.
Missy so happy your first dinner out turned out well and I can't wait to see how much more you have lost since surgery.
Xylie I think I'll try some of those dinners you talked about and when I go to the health food store for our green tea I'll check out the Spirutien sounds like just what I need to get moving if you get my drift. lol
Nancia Good for you I know how hard it is to pass up things you like and especially when you DS would enjoy that sort of treat
Stephanie I will look forward to posts from you and welcome. As far as FQ's I have as much chance of winning a FQ as a snowball in h---
I just get so much from all who are on this journey to a healthy life.
Hugs to all
Gail

Thank you so much! I agree with you...I also get so much from those on this board. It is truly a bank full of priceless wisdom.

Missy

Rita's mom 06-05-2011 04:29 PM

Hope everyone's Sunday is going well! Mine started a little iffy because hubby wanted to go out for breakfast. I had 3 strips of bacon and 2 eggs gave all of my potatoes to my dh except a bite,and then split a big pancake with him.(no butter and very little syrup)I am not sure what that came to calorie wise but I know it is not even close to what I should have stayed at. Then we went to the Good Fellows car show and walked and walked and walked in the heat, skipped lunch and then had a soup and salad for dinner.(at a resturant also so I know it was higher in calories and fat than I needed it to be.(ranch dressing!) But I am hoping all the walking and the heat will balance things out! LOL I did drink a ton of water though, so thats good. Now I am just sunburned and tired. :)

Welcome to the late comers! Even if you didn't get in for the FQ's this month the support is worth so much more.

Missy good luck tomorrow on your weigh in! And thank you for sharing your story with us. It does help to know others have struggles right along with us, and when we start having trouble being as motivated as we need to be, it helps to be able to say to ourselves if so and so can do this I can too! I have been off track some what the last two weeks and I KNOW if it wasn't for all of you on here I would have given up and went back to my old ways by now! I am a little off track right now but thanks to all of you I am no where near giving up!

Missy how is the blog coming along?

MissyGirl 06-05-2011 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rita's mom
Hope everyone's Sunday is going well! Mine started a little iffy because hubby wanted to go out for breakfast. I had 3 strips of bacon and 2 eggs gave all of my potatoes to my dh except a bite,and then split a big pancake with him.(no butter and very little syrup)I am not sure what that came to calorie wise but I know it is not even close to what I should have stayed at. Then we went to the Good Fellows car show and walked and walked and walked in the heat, skipped lunch and then had a soup and salad for dinner.(at a resturant also so I know it was higher in calories and fat than I needed it to be.(ranch dressing!) But I am hoping all the walking and the heat will balance things out! LOL I did drink a ton of water though, so thats good. Now I am just sunburned and tired. :)

Welcome to the late comers! Even if you didn't get in for the FQ's this month the support is worth so much more.

Missy good luck tomorrow on your weigh in! And thank you for sharing your story with us. It does help to know others have struggles right along with us, and when we start having trouble being as motivated as we need to be, it helps to be able to say to ourselves if so and so can do this I can too! I have been off track some what the last two weeks and I KNOW if it wasn't for all of you on here I would have given up and went back to my old ways by now! I am a little off track right now but thanks to all of you I am no where near giving up!

Missy how is the blog coming along?

I finally got the blog set up and now I am writing my first post. I really want something to chronicle this journey for me. As soon as I get it posted I will add the link to my signature. Thanks so much for remembering the blog!

Missy