Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Just returned from our 1st trip with a GPS. Wow. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/just-returned-our-1st-trip-gps-wow-t160004.html)

Murphy 10-12-2011 06:30 PM

Ditto. Or takes you to a corn field rather than the hotel.

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
wait til it gets you lost at a dead end in the construction zone..sigh...

emerald46 10-12-2011 06:36 PM

Don't travel without Maggie (my Garmin). New car has one built in. My first went in any car we were in - it has been all over Canada, Ireland and England. Got the update for UK/Ireland dated Jan 2011 before we left..only problem was part of the toll road in Ireland was not completed until March. I change the accent once in awhile just for fun. "Recalulating" is her favorite phrase because DH never wants to follow directions.

TangleJaw 10-12-2011 06:38 PM

LOL i have been wanting to get a GPS for when me and my mom go road-tripping

GingerK 10-12-2011 06:53 PM

We got a GPS a few years ago and I must admit that I love it to death. I am terminally directionally challenged. I LOVE not having to ask my DH for directions (which always came half a block and a lane change from a turn).

I am thankful for my GPS when I am trying to get to DD's house in the city and there is a major accident on the 401 (freeway in Toronto) and I have no knowledge of the surface streets to her home.

But the best thing of all--My DH programmed our GPS for factory outlets and QUILT SHOPS!!!! Now you just gotta love that man!! (even tho he also programed it for Starbucks--blech--but they do have a good magazine section!)

BUt I do have one beef: WHY WILL MY DH TAKE DIRECTIONS FROM THE FEMALE IN OUR GPS WHEN HE NEVER WILL TAKE MY DIRECTIONS!! Arrrgggh!!

alikat110 10-12-2011 06:58 PM

i have navagation on my dell streak mobile. love it. wonder sometimes how i managed without!!!!

amandasgramma 10-12-2011 07:12 PM

They're very good but realize the info in them is only as good as those that put the info in. We had experience here where a man followed the GPS and went on mountain roads in middle of winter. He ended up dying and his wife and children almost died before being found. Also, we've had them give us bad instructions...........follow the instructions but use common sense. And yes, technology is there where they can follow our every move. But I move so slowly and am not a great catch to watch in the restroom, so I'm not worried :mrgreen:

tammy cosper 10-12-2011 07:14 PM

Lol...I realized last nite when looking at photos on my new phone, that it has a folder with pics that were taken at my house. And where the name of the folder is it has my address.lol Thats what stuff the gps on our phones can do. It will tell where I was when I took a pic. WOW!
Tammy

Wine Woman 10-12-2011 07:21 PM

My best friend! :thumbup: Travels with me everywhere and talks to me often!

sharoney 10-12-2011 07:34 PM

Interesting question you ended your post with. To illustrate: DH left his cellphone at a hotel and realized it too far down the road to go back and get it. So he called me and asked me to report it lost- assuming, like the pessimists we are, that it would never be seen again. I did report it, online, and they sent me an email saying their GPS knew exactly where the phone was, even tho DH had disabled the GPS function on his phone!

spartan quilter 10-12-2011 08:04 PM

I won a garmin at a holiday work party, and since we never travel, I promptly gave it to our daughter, for when they go on vacations and do other traveling. She loves it and uses it all the time. I just make her take me with her sometimes, and show me how it works. Good for both of us.