Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Just returned from our 1st trip with a GPS. Wow. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/just-returned-our-1st-trip-gps-wow-t160004.html)

Country1 10-12-2011 05:09 PM

Penny and I just returned from a trip to another part of the state we are familiar with, but often have to say "is that the turn we take?" Finally broke down and bought a GPS for about $10 from Sam's Club. Not bad considering they can go up to $400. This machine gives us maps, and verbal directions, upcoming turns, and can find restaurants and all sorts of things. It found Red Robin Gourmet Hamburgers across Lexington for us and guided us right into the parking lot. I'm glad I still know how to use a map (like I'm glad I can know how to multiply and do long division) but this is great!. No more asking directions and trying to follow them in a strange town. Just makes me wonder....if a satellite can do this, what are some able to do who have access to our cell phone do, which is registered to us? Hmmm. I hope they don't know when I use the restroom in my own house, wink wink

0tis 10-12-2011 05:12 PM

Yes, I have one in my car and its wonderful - especially when you go out of town - you can look for gas, food, etc and if you take a wrong turn it will get you back on track.

athomenow 10-12-2011 05:13 PM

This is a funny thread to me. We used it last night in our roadtrip and I made some wrong turns because I wasn't listening to her. But she got me back on track pretty quick. Mine says "Take the motorway" instead of the freeway. I think she's British!

New Quilter 10-12-2011 05:14 PM

My first time using my GPS...my husband was the "co-pilot"....he still doesn't understand how that "little man in there knows where we are and where to turn"...lol...he is 81...I gave up trying to make him understand and took the GPS away from him...he kept accidently hitting the screen and losing everything...lol...even "killed" the little man in there...oh well, it has helped me alot...Naomi :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

1234Irene 10-12-2011 05:18 PM

Wow! $10.00? If I send you money, could I talk you into getting me one for my daughters Christmas gift? She just recently got married, moved to a new town and is always getting lost!

SparkMonkey 10-12-2011 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by athomenow
This is a funny thread to me. We used it last night in our roadtrip and I made some wrong turns because I wasn't listening to her. But she got me back on track pretty quick. Mine says "Take the motorway" instead of the freeway. I think she's British!

When my fiance got his GPS, he chose the British accent because he thought the American voice sounded like it was shouting at him. ;)

jaciqltznok 10-12-2011 05:47 PM

wait til it gets you lost at a dead end in the construction zone..sigh...

MissM 10-12-2011 05:47 PM

We have a Tom Tom and my husband chose the voice from the evil man from the movie Silence of the Lambs. Makes for an interesting drive. He is actually quite polite. Talks about therapy..and talking with Clarice. It's a real hoot. :-D

Tallbald 10-12-2011 05:54 PM

I'm so sorry. I cannot type. I hunt and peck, not consistently watching the screen. The GPS we got was $150, with free map updates. Oh, and I like the female voice talking to me (Jill, as listed in the menu), as I'm used to taking directions from Penny when we drive. Neither of us is afraid to ask strangers for directions by the way. We'll use her to get us to the Goodwill in Nashville quickly this week to get Miss Ruby (our new to us Redeye). So excited...Don

DogHouseMom 10-12-2011 06:23 PM

The first time we used one was in the UK - a borrowed one. We were traveling on an A road up through the midlands to Yorkshire. The road we were on had a lot of recent construction, they were removing quite a few of the roundabouts and making 4 way stops.

The first time we hit a "former" roundabout the GPS thought it was still there. It was a hoot watching our car "spin out" off road on the GPS screen and the woman rapidly repeating "recalculating".