Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Just returned from our 1st trip with a GPS. Wow. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/just-returned-our-1st-trip-gps-wow-t160004.html)

jdk151 10-13-2011 07:33 AM

My daughter has one and hers is a squirrel....he's always wanting to stop for nuts and warning you about another squirrel crossing the road...cute at first, now he is just annoying!!

ccrow99 10-13-2011 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by k3n

Originally Posted by ccrow99
We love our "lady in the box". Been all over the US and she was amazingly accurate. We love to take an exit or head to something of interest, just so we can hear her get her panties in a bunch and say...recalculating, with a British attitude!!!!

Errr - that would be 'her knickers in a knot'! :lol:

I changed mine from the woman to the man because I was sure she was getting a testy tone in her voice if I took a wrong turn - the man is much more supportive and forgiving. If I go wrong he has a soothing tone in his voice like 'never mind dear, I'll get you back on track'. And there's me, pretending to be a feminist! :lol:

Can't stop laughing!!! Thought mine was good....yours-much better.

Sophie2 10-13-2011 08:03 AM

My DH got me one for Christmas last year as I am really good at getting lost. Next week will be my first trip alone with my GPS. Guess I will have to think up a name. When DH and I travel together he likes the British girl. I want to try a different voice because as much as I like the accent, half the time I cannot understand her. I will let you know how my trip with my yet un-named GPS goes!:)

MIJul 10-13-2011 08:09 AM

Love LOVE mine. Our only problem is that my husband only hears "Turn right" and doesn't listen for the rest of it.... in 1/4 mile, in 500 feet, etc. He just turns right as soon as she says to. So we hear "recalculating" quite often.

I used the Garmin Garage and programmed my own voice. I'm still waiting for my husband to say "Why does she sound so familiar?"

On a road trip with my best friend and we were wondering where to go to eat..... ask Garmin - there's a Red Robin right around the corner. This gadget has saved lots of time, wrong turns, miles, etc.

sewn3w 10-13-2011 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
we live in the country and when people come over from a distance, we have to tell them NOT to follow the GPS. I guess they are fine in the city but around here they will send you down a snowmobile trail or a cow path. Or take a very long way around instead of the shortest way.

I could have posted this as well. In my area my house and my parents former house are sitting in fields with NO road/driveways to them if you listen to GPS or check online satellite pics. Trying to tell someone to turn off their GPS is frustrating. They are sure electronic intelligence is smarter than I am about where I live.

Sophie2 10-13-2011 08:16 AM

My husband used it with an older gentleman last year. He wanted to know if my husband had called the girl in the box to let her know where we were going. He kept asking, "How does she know where we want to go?" Now husband and I laugh everytime we use it asking if the other one "called" the girl to let her know where we were going. They are great.

cjaye44 10-13-2011 08:58 AM

I would be lost>>giggle<< without my GPS to find yard and estate sales. It wasn't so bad when my daughter was visiting and could be navigator with the map...but on my own it was very frustrating. With the GPS, I map out my day with Craigs List the night before...then I'm off to the races early the next morning. One of the nicest things about it is that they're organized by distance (mileage) and there's no back tracking. Of course the downside is that I can spend a lot more money this way :thumbdown: .

nancy59 10-13-2011 09:14 AM

I wanted a GPS for so long, so I finally got one for my DH birthday (he loves it) it does make me laugh when your on a trip and it tells you to "Stay on this road for quite a while"

Ripped on Scotch 10-13-2011 09:20 AM

We call my Mom's GPS "Dorkus" She got us frusterated at a 5 corner set of lights, those things do not handle 5 corners well.

ncredbird 10-13-2011 09:22 AM

They are wonderful and terrible. If there is any construction in an area and they haven't been notified they can be life threatening if you don't watch and have a good idea of where you need to be. Don't follow them blindly.
We were traveling across country during daylight hours through the St Louis area. They were doing construction work on the roads and bridge. GPS told us to take a left turn which had the ramp removed for replacement. Barriers just past the exit. Now we spotted it in time to change our course but can you imagine what could have happened during night time traffic? We no longer travel in strange territory after dark. Also they have no idea of the safety of an area. We asked for directions to a restaurant once and ended up in gang territory. Just kept driving. Ann in TN