Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   just a warning.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/just-warning-t147869.html)

Annz 08-26-2011 08:31 PM

Good to know

kacklebird 08-26-2011 08:52 PM

Gees, your poor sister. I buy at yard sales and thrift stores too. That is terrible she's having to go through all of this. I hope things are taken care of soon.

Beaverlaker 08-26-2011 09:13 PM

If you can get Animal Planet channel, watch Bed Bug Apocolypse. It's very informative and by happenstance I just watched it last night and saw this post today.

DH is an exterminator. Exterminators are using heat a lot now (above 120F) to kill them. That program said heat is the bed bug's 'achilles heel.' A steamer can also help if you have one, but they can hide in appliances, computers, rugs, wood furniture, etc. A bed bug doesn't have to eat for a year and a half and will still survive.

They are finding bed bugs in retail stores with NEW clothing, bedding, etc. now. Also, fire halls where fireman bring them back and sleep on their bunks in the fire house.

Hope your sister doesn't have to spend too much to get rid of them, but the program said people have spent thousands to get rid of them.

BabsSister 08-27-2011 04:07 AM

Thank You everyone!! You are so kind. Today is another day. I got up early to steam clean my rugs with my little shark, before the new bed comes from the Senior Center. I am so lucky to be in an area where they have done so much for me. I am sure the rest of my furnitre will be going. It's only 2 more recliners, but I will wait until after they bake the place. Thanks again, GrammaBabs sister

GrammaBabs 08-27-2011 08:06 AM

Welcome Sis.... aren't these people just wonderful........it's all gonna work out, we know that, but having such support really helps... thank you all again...hugs Barbara/GrammaBabs

laalaaquilter 08-27-2011 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish
How sad. Stories just like your sister's have been making the rounds for several months now. A local news station told of a woman who thought she'd gotten a great deal on Craig's List - an entire bedroom set for $200. Dresser, nightstands, bed frame, queen mattress and boxsprings, and another piece. I don't know what it's called, it's like a desk but has a mirror and you sit and put makeup on. She's since spent $2000 on trying to get rid of the bedbugs that came in with the set. Some deal.

Peckish, that desk with the mirror is a vanity.

stoppain 08-27-2011 06:23 PM

I'm so sorry to read this Thanks for the information

nancy59 08-28-2011 07:44 AM

I had never thought of getting bed bugs like that, what a shame your sister has to go thru this. Send her a hug.

CAS49OR 08-28-2011 12:00 PM

btw if you travel, leave your suitcases outside in the sun for a week when you get home, and wash and dry everything in a hot.

It is pretty scary as bedbugs are not found in dept. stores, movie theaters, restaurants. Places you wouldn't think about,

Janice Thompson 08-28-2011 04:11 PM

HOW SAD. MY DAUGHTER WORKS FOR A MANAGEMENT COMPANY AND THEY HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH FOREIGNERS BRINGING BUGS INTO THE COMPLEX AND INFESTING THE WHOLE BUILDING. TALK ABOUT A MESS. THEY TOO TAKE BOX CUTTERS TO BEDDING AND FURNITURE LEFT IN THE DUMPSTERS