Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Kindle Fire Ads Driving You Nutz? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/kindle-fire-ads-driving-you-nutz-t225175.html)

QKO 07-05-2013 09:45 AM

Kindle Fire Ads Driving You Nutz?

Cindy loves her Kindle Fire HD, but told me yesterday she was getting ready to chuck it because of the ads that pop up all the time, pretty much every time she changes apps.

With a quick Bing search, I learned you can get rid of the ads by making a one-time payment of $15 to Amazon, the amount they claim the ads subsidize the device's price.

You go into your Amazon account, click on manage your Kindle device, and edit your ad subscription.

Videos on how to do it are one Youtube.

She's now a happy camper with her Kindle, and it was a lot cheaper than buying a new tablet computer. :)

QuiltnNan 07-05-2013 11:38 AM

that is very interesting to hear!!! isn't that how the bad guys get their money... hold something hostage until you pay???

nativetexan 07-05-2013 02:20 PM

good grief. I guess they figure if someone can afford the K Fire, they can afford a few more dollars. Not me.

ckcowl 07-05-2013 02:26 PM

when you purchase your kindle you have the option * 2 different prices* to buy one without the ads- or with the ads---my hubby did not want the ads, so I paid extra for his- I didn't care- so mine was less expensive- they do not bother me. the option is always available- I don't pay any attention to them so it makes no difference. we have the same thing with our phones- hubby's phone gets ads, mine does not- just based on what we paid for them when we bought them.

BellaBoo 07-05-2013 02:44 PM

We have several Kindles. One with ads and the others without. The ads doesn't bother us. I found if you turn the wi fi setting to off then no ads pop up anyway at least not on the Kindle Fire.

Quiltbeagle 07-05-2013 04:34 PM

I get ads, but mine are unobtrusive and are are only on the home page where you unlock the Kindle Fire (I may also not get any ads because I went into my settings and turned off notifications from pretty much everything). After downloading, some apps were sending annoying ads and this seemed to stop them. I actually like the ad page at startup though... Amazon tries to sell things there but also gives things away there for free every once in a while. About 6 weeks ago I got a $5.00 Amazon gift certificate for free.

quiltmom04 07-06-2013 06:02 AM

Really ? You have to pay extra to get no ads?

Rose Marie 07-06-2013 06:11 AM

My Kindle Fire dosnt have ads but I have not added any aps, just download books.
Would be very upsett after paying so much for it, to find ads on it.

kellen46 07-06-2013 06:29 AM

This is why I just have the old fashioned paper books....no annoying ads. Seems to me that don't need all that electronic stuff...

mighty 07-06-2013 06:46 AM

Just purchased mine, have not notice that problem , yet.