Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Kitchen remodel-need tips on how to function without my kitchen (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/kitchen-remodel-need-tips-how-function-without-my-kitchen-t240173.html)

DOTTYMO 02-02-2014 06:46 AM

Get invited out a few nights each week.
I put my kitchen in the dining room when mine was done and washed up in the bathroom sink. That way I had the whole kitchen shut off during the day so the men could work and I could function.
I think central heating was the worst problem as floor boards were up every where even the bedroom. I had to climb over. Carpets etc for a week while they worked. Just glad I have a small cottage.

QuiltnNan 02-02-2014 07:17 AM

i had an unused second bathroom. i put a shelf above the sink with angle brackets and put the microwave on a stand nearby. the refrig was in the hallway. the trick to making it work was to wash everything immediately after use.

QuiltE 02-02-2014 08:12 AM

It really depends on your home and potential options. Also, whether you are cooking for two or more. Consider how you can accumulate most of what you will need in one area ... rather than the frig in the house, cooking in the garage, washing in the laundry. Yes, you might not be able to have it all together, but the closer, the easier it will be for you to make it thru with some sanity!

As already suggested, keep it simple ... don't stress that it's not the perfect kitchen environment and go into it with a good sense of humour! And of course, eating out with friends, family or at restaurants/fast-foods will be in the mix.

When I moved to this home, I was without a stove and oven for 6 weeks due to a minor reno ... crockpot, microwave, tea kettle and Hamilton Beach grill came to the rescue and provided some pretty impressive meals!

I would now start a kitchen-reno cookbook with recipes and ideas that will work. As you make your meals, think about how you would do the same, simplified or if it will be off the menu for the duration.

Glad to see that you are in the real world as to the timing!
As for the excess stuff ... start getting rid of it NOW!!!!!!

When I built my new kitchen in my old home (miss it dearly!!) ... I was lucky, that we moved rooms, so I had a workable kitchen throughout. I did get rid of a lot of excess stuff to the benefit of the thrift stores, food bank and local soup kitchen. Likewise when I moved here ... they were thrilled and certainly helped me with the downsizing.

NJ Quilter 02-02-2014 09:07 AM

When we did our addition, the original kitchen/laundry room were ripped off the back of the house. New back half of house from basement to 2nd floor. We move the washer/dryer/sink base cabinet into the LR all in a row. Had top loading washer; then dryer; then sink. Had temp water hook ups all in the same place and had the dryer to use as a counter for dishes/such. Fridge was on the other side of the room. Tall bookcase with TV/food supplies/microwave. Used the microwave, grill on the front porch and electric frying pan. I moved the coffee pot to the upstairs bathroom as there just wasn't enough room for one more electrical thing in the LR at that point and I had water! We lived this way for about 8 months. About the only room in the house that was not touched during that reno was our then bedroom. Eventually had to patch one wall in there but at least it was after the reno was just about complete and we had moved into the new BR.

hybearn8er 02-02-2014 09:15 AM

When we redid our kitchen I used my electric skillet the most, I made alot of 1 skillet meals and found you could cook things like pasta in the microwave.I also used the grill like an oven. I would take aluminum foil and double it , then layer olive oil, veggies and chicken in a pouch shape and seal it, let it cook for 10 minutes on one side then flip to other side.Dinner was done and clean up was minimal. I cooked fish , chicken and thin cut beef all like this.

QuiltE 02-02-2014 10:04 AM

Make doubles when you are cooking now ... and freeze to reheat in the microwave or oven (if you have the stove reconnected during the upheaval)

Pack away things you will not need ... then have some plastic totes for the things you want to keep at hand. Make sure they are stackable, so it will take less of the space in your temporary workspace.

tessagin 02-02-2014 10:10 AM

Also if you have any cast iron skillets, you would be amazed how good breakfast can be. We have charcoal grill. Slow cookers and toaster ovens are great and let Miss Dixie and Mr. Reynolds do most of the work for you. You can cut up veggies while the charcoal is heating up.

Originally Posted by CookyIN (Post 6550027)
Since it will be summer, I'd plan on doing a lot of outdoor grilling. You can cook most anything on a grill. Veggies can be done in foil so clean-up isn't a mess. Kabobs make a quick and fun supper. Definitely use a gas one so start-up will be a breeze.

Definitely love the above idea of paper plates, plastic cups, etc.

ldjojo 02-02-2014 10:28 AM

Use groupon coupons with gift cards and they will go twice as far.

lynnie 02-02-2014 10:36 AM

we ate out

Melinda in Tulsa 02-02-2014 10:59 AM

Go out to eat!