Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   kitty catnipped (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/kitty-catnipped-t159193.html)

MisDixie 10-09-2011 10:47 AM

yes they are, but I did have to contain myself a few weeks ago when he had the cone on his head. The thought of cat with the cone on the nip...

Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am

Originally Posted by MisDixie
Once winter sets in the nip comes out! Keeps him from driving us crazy. He spend a lot of time yowling at the door to go out and is toatly P***ed off when the doors opened and it cold hits not to mention the snow.

OMG, LOL they ARE great entertainment, aren't they?
but even better on the nip...

DebsShelties 10-09-2011 10:48 AM

I make catnip bags for mine to play with now and then

Quilter Lois 10-09-2011 10:50 AM

I have three cats all of whom love catnip. I also have two pots of live catnip herb on my patio. One day DH says I need to buy some more catnip plants. I look and behold! the plants are stubs! Not even a green shoot showing. Well, it was August and the gardening shops do not carry herbs until Feb and March around here so the cats are just going to have to go without til them. Guess they shouldn't be so greedy! I am hoping some seeds come up but none so far and no seeds to be found in the stores.

RenaB 10-09-2011 10:53 AM

Not as often as they would like, LOL. Maybe once a month.

just_the_scraps_m'am 10-09-2011 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter Lois
I have three cats all of whom love catnip. I also have two pots of live catnip herb on my patio. One day DH says I need to buy some more catnip plants. I look and behold! the plants are stubs! Not even a green shoot showing. Well, it was August and the gardening shops do not carry herbs until Feb and March around here so the cats are just going to have to go without til them. Guess they shouldn't be so greedy! I am hoping some seeds come up but none so far and no seeds to be found in the stores.

squirrels & chipmunks will destroy those plants, too & then lay on their back with all fours in the air!

i was amazed to find nip in the garden center @walmart!

auntpiggylpn 10-09-2011 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by scowlkat
We have a catnip spray that we spritz occasionally on some small stuffed toys. Once or twice a week.

One time I found a bottle of bubbles at Pet Smart that had catnip in it. One of our cats would jump five feet after those bubbles! It was hilarious. I have never found it again. STBDH (soon-to-be DH) tried making some but it never worked the same plus was afraid it would stain things. (The one from Pet Smart said it wouldn't stain and never did.)

Oh, that would be a fantastic toy for the cats! I certainly would be entertained by it!! I just googled "catnip bubbles" and found that you can buy it at Walmart and Amazon!

Cattyqwltr 10-09-2011 11:18 AM

when I remember, I'll make little bags and put nip in it. Boy do they know what I'm doing. Also have a store bought toy that I periodically refill with nip and they both go to town on it.

Favorite Fabrics 10-09-2011 11:22 AM

We have catnip growing in the vegetable garden so our girls can get their own whenever they want.

Mostly they try to lie down on the plants and roll on them.

Which is to teach me to put the catnip plants at the edge of the garden, to minimize the damage.

And that has an extra bonus in that the deer don't like "smelly plants" so the catnip, garlic, and lemon balm act as (tiny) deterrents.

meemersmom 10-09-2011 11:58 AM

Mine get it quite often since I grow my own. At least a couple times a week except for winter, I pick off a few stems when I walk by the plant. The neighborhood cats have discovered it, so I now put a tomato cage upside down over the plant in the spring when it first comes up (its a perennial) to minimize damage. They (and I) can still get at the stems growing through the wire but the plant doesn't get flattened.

Wendys Quilts 10-09-2011 12:03 PM

Question.... What is the purpose of cat nip? Does it tire them out at night? :)