Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Kitty litter -- kitty loves it! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/kitty-litter-kitty-loves-t273226.html)

ctrysass2012 12-12-2015 08:44 PM

I'm curious, too. I have seen it but couldn't imagine it working that well.

MrsClaas 12-13-2015 05:40 AM

I use the cheapest clumpable I can find! I recently bought a cheap tote and cut a hole in the middle of the cover. My two cats have to enter to use the litter box. I now have almost no odor! The cats are almost 10 years old and didn't object to my "new" way of doing things.

Carol34446 12-13-2015 05:01 PM

Ii has been around for 5-6 years at least. Got it as Wally world and then for a time they didn't have if but do now. It is in a purple bag and works great. No smell like the clay litter. Our cat is 20 years old in a few months. She likes the stuff now that she doesn't go outside so much.

madamekelly 12-13-2015 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7401843)
That my main concern about adopting a cat. Where I live, there is NO good air circulation in the apt.

I am on a limited income so I buy the cheapest litter, good old clay. DH gave me the idea of sprinkling a little baking soda in the bottom of the cat box before adding fresh litter. Since neither of us can stay bent over to scoop it, we just dump the whole cat box once a week (we do not "fill" the whole box, just a few inches for them to dig in). We have two cats, male and female, and no odor at all, which is a good thing since it has to live in the main bathroom (it has a cover and the opening faces away from anyone using the 'facilities'). It works so well, we now sprinkle some in the new trash bag to do the same job.

I had a vet tell me years ago that feeding a cat wet or dry food, that makes him/her stink up the potty box, is a good way to make sure he/she has kidney problems later. The food is too rich, or of poor quality if the cat box is foul. A little odor is normal, stinking you out of the house means his food is a problem. Never had a sick cat in 40 years following that advice.

maviskw 12-13-2015 09:43 PM

I'm having this problem, (new to me) of having a stinky cat box in my bathroom. I bought expensive clumping litter at a "name brand" pet store. The cat drinks a lot of water every day, and it all goes into the litter box. The litter says "clumping", but it does not clump. I have to dump it more than once a week.

I'm going to try the baking soda, but I can't wait until spring when I can put the cat outside. We just got him a few months ago as a shelter cat and he was very scared for a few weeks. He's OK now, but I'm afraid the put him outside now. He might not come back, and the way he acts around the house, I think he was a house cat before someone dumped him in the woods.

We live in the country, so he will have fun outside as soon as I can be sure he knows us enough to come back when called. I can't wait to get rid of the litter box in the house. All our other cats were outside cats that came in if they wanted to.

maviskw 12-13-2015 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly (Post 7403159)

I had a vet tell me years ago that feeding a cat wet or dry food, that makes him/her stink up the potty box, is a good way to make sure he/she has kidney problems later. The food is too rich, or of poor quality if the cat box is foul. A little odor is normal, stinking you out of the house means his food is a problem. Never had a sick cat in 40 years following that advice.

I don't understand this. Is it the wet food or the dry food that makes the stink? We are feeding dry food only, and was told that the litter box would not stink as much with dry food. But it does.

madamekelly 12-13-2015 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw (Post 7403186)
I don't understand this. Is it the wet food or the dry food that makes the stink? We are feeding dry food only, and was told that the litter box would not stink as much with dry food. But it does.

The way it was explained to me was, If a person eats certain foods, (for me, raw onion, garlic, cabbage, but if they are cooked no problem) that he or she has digestion problems issues with, (BAD gas and body odor even!) they should avoid it right? Well, the same can happen for them. Might be tuna, salmon, chicken, cat food, could be a filler. If your cats have stink problems, don't suddenly change their food! Change by adding a new one mixed with the usual food a little more of the new each feeding. Notice changes? End the first or new one, or stay with it. Takes some time, but you will have happier less "funky" pets if you do. Might have to try a few to get the right one or brand. No dollar store food please, it is made in China, no oversight.......not for my fur-kids!

DivaDee 12-14-2015 01:01 AM

I just recently saw on TV, that cats prefer a box for each process. One for pee and one for poop. Don't have any cats so am not sure this is true.

sewnsewer2 12-14-2015 04:07 AM

I use tidy cat light weight. I scoop twice a day & it lasts a week. Love the glade scent but hard to find. I have 6 cats.

just_the_scraps_m'am 12-14-2015 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by mike'sgirl (Post 7402235)
If you don't break up the clumps and clean every day, the box should not smell. This is my experience and I have 9 cats. Only 3 inside. I'm curious how the corn litter works...does it absorb the liquid?

i think that's the part it's best with & that's why i got it to begin with -- i could smell the ammonia in the urine -- but now this corn cob litter clumps great & NO smell of cat urine!