Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Leather furniture & cat...need advise (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/leather-furniture-cat-need-advise-t44500.html)

PMY in QCA-IL 05-01-2010 06:59 PM

Watch out for their back claws. My daughter's cats spent a week at our house and all my "leather - look" dinette seats were left with gashes from their back claws. DD has a real leather couch and the cats have put small pinholes in it, but not nearly as bad as the "unleather".

magnolia 05-01-2010 08:20 PM

We use these things called Soft Paws on our cat. They are little soft plastic caps that you glue onto their nails. They only need to be replaced every 8 weeks or so, or whenever they come off. They don't hurt the cat.

BellaBoo 05-01-2010 08:34 PM

Yes, Soft Paws are wonderful. They are much better then declawing. And if your cat doesn't scratch the furniture you can let them wear off. Most new vets do not declaw cats anymore, only the old school vet office does that now.

mcdaniel023 05-02-2010 02:25 AM

Thanks everyone. We went shopping again. More confused than ever! I feel in love with this set. LOVE it...but hubby thinks I will get sick of the color. It is seafoam green and brown.
He still wants leather...real leather. We found a camel colored fabric set we like but don't love. So back to square one.

bstanbro 05-03-2010 07:15 AM

I have three cats (two now, sadly). They are declawed, but have their back claws. Also have a leather recliner. We've had no problems except occasional pin pricks. If you want to keep a cat from scratching your furniture, put double-sided sticky tape on the surfaces that they scratch. They hate it. Doesn't work where people sit, of course.

summerstorm 05-04-2010 01:53 PM

Yes, I have similar and MIL cat really scratched it.

Sharon

Debbie1219 05-04-2010 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by mcdaniel023
DH says to ask all of you if any of you has any advice.

This is the most impressive part of this whole thread. Smart man.
I would think, if the cat has a history of damage to furniture, would make all the difference.

jals loves to quilt 05-04-2010 03:31 PM

My DH and I bought leather in 2001. We are dog and cat lovers and rescued several. I don't declaw my cats and the dogs climb up all the time so I expected scratches and messes. Leather cleans well for spills and stains. But if you are concerned about the scratches from climbing cats or some that loose their footing, then I say go for cloth. I can't stand the fur and smells that get into cloth. We love our animals. A couch can be replaced.

mcdaniel023 05-04-2010 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Debbie1219

Originally Posted by mcdaniel023
DH says to ask all of you if any of you has any advice.

This is the most impressive part of this whole thread. Smart man.
I would think, if the cat has a history of damage to furniture, would make all the difference.

I think he was hoping all of you would say go for it. Honestly, the cat has never damaged anything. She would probably be fine. But, I do not want leather. Not gonna happen. :wink:

Rainy Day 05-04-2010 04:45 PM

hope he doesn't read this! I do the same thing - I researched blah blah on the net (what he wanted to do/buy), and I found out that ner ner ner (what I wanted to do/buy)is a MUCH BETTER IDEA. And it works!!!!