Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Lending and Borrowing Books (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/lending-borrowing-books-t316482.html)

Onebyone 10-04-2021 08:48 AM

I never had the nerve to ask about getting them back.

That is what most takers count on, people being too nice to make a scene. Learn to make the whole play and give encores. It works.

sewbizgirl 10-04-2021 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom (Post 8510591)
I totally agree with "neither a borrower or a lender be". I don't like to do either.

My Mom used to say this all the time! And I agree, it's the best policy.

sewbizgirl 10-04-2021 09:14 AM

Here's another angle: One friend will sometimes foist a book on me that I didn't ask for or want to read! She insists I take it and read it (she has already read it). She doesn't take 'no' for an answer, so the last time I just took the book and disposed of it.

AngelaS 10-04-2021 11:47 AM

After losing several key pieces of homeschool curriculum, I learned a trick to get my stuff back.

When I loan something out, I take the borrower's picture with the book. Then months later when I'm scrolling my phone and find the picture, I ask them about it. When I get it back, I delete the picture.

I haven't lost an item since I started having photographic evidence. :D

SusieQOH 10-04-2021 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 8511522)
Here's another angle: One friend will sometimes foist a book on me that I didn't ask for or want to read! She insists I take it and read it (she has already read it). She doesn't take 'no' for an answer, so the last time I just took the book and disposed of it.

How annoying! I like to read Amazon reviews of books and your post reminded me of an opposite scenario. Sometimes a person will write "don't read it". Umm...... we are all so different. People like all kinds of books. To tell a public audience what you think they should or shouldn't read is utterly ridiculous!!

leaha 10-04-2021 04:55 PM

I still have my copy of bury my heart, but I don't have Lame Deer seeker of visions , it was a book i loaned my DH just before our first date, i did get it back from him but some where along the way over 40 years ago and several moves around the country, Ak. Or, twice, wa. Maine twice, ND. Ca. Tx. and Ky. lost lamw deer.

What I do not understand is why don't some people understand the difference between given something and loaned some thing. I don't borrow things if I need it I buy iy it,

bearisgray 10-04-2021 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by AngelaS (Post 8511553)
After losing several key pieces of homeschool curriculum, I learned a trick to get my stuff back.

When I loan something out, I take the borrower's picture with the book. Then months later when I'm scrolling my phone and find the picture, I ask them about it. When I get it back, I delete the picture.

I haven't lost an item since I started having photographic evidence. :D

Fantastic idea!

Onebyone 10-05-2021 10:37 AM

I use to record me telling my girls what I said. There was no tears of no you didn't say that. It stopped most drama in a heartbeat. I like the photo idea a lot!