Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Life with a cat (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/life-cat-t235239.html)

cizzors 11-22-2013 06:26 AM

Don't know if others are/were uninformed like me but up until 9 yrs ago I thought 'declaw' meant just that-the vet 'digs' the claws out. I didn't understand, didn't confirm and had my cat declawed. After the fact, for no reason, I did some research only to find out they actually amputate to the first knuckle. I had another cat done yrs ago and never understood why she walk so daintily. I would too if half my feet were chopped off! Disgusting images on the web. The vet I see now refuses to declaw and I totally agree.

mermaid 11-22-2013 06:32 AM

If you think getting kitty declawed is the answer to calming him down, you may be in for worse surprises. As said, it sometimes makes them bite, they often stop using the litter box and choose inappropriate places. It is also rare for the declawing to be totally complete-- leaving one or two claws to grow deformed and often back into the paw. Our rescued Tom has to have one on each paw treated regularly by Vet because they grow backwards into his paws, causing a limping walk. That's when we do our visits. We were told he had to endure a 2nd declaw operation and it was still not successful. We've never had a cat declawed! I just can't imagine how painful it must be.

feline fanatic 11-22-2013 06:35 AM

I beg of you PLEASE do not declaw your kitten!!!

It is the equivilent of amputating your finger at the first joint below the fingernail.

Let me give you a few bullets on how barbaric and horrendous declawing is:

It is outlawed in almost every country in the world! The US and Canada are the only few that still do it. Why? Because it is a cash cow procedure for vets.

Declawing is so painful to the animal that pharmaceutical companies use that procedure more than any other to test the efficacy of vetrinary pain killers

Finally, I urge you to go read this essay written by a vet technician on what it is like working "behind the scenes" and seeing, first hand what a horrific and barbaric procedure this is
http://declaw.lisaviolet.com/declawvettch.html

Edited to add a 2001 study revealed 33% of declawed cats developed behavior problems after surgery (18% biting and 15% house-soiling)

Try interactive play with your kitten. Da Bird is a great toy for active felines. Provide LARGE STABLE cat trees for climbing and scratching. Teach your cat to fetch for hours of interactive play and bonding. Please don't declaw your cat.

EDUCATE DON'T AMPUTATE!!!!

Rose Marie 11-22-2013 07:15 AM

I will not declaw a cat.
They can be trained to use a cat post. Just use cat nip on the post. Also I demo how to use it by clawing on it with my hand to show him how. If he has a spot on the furniture that he goes to, place the cat post in front of it.
I have 3 cats and none of them claw the furniture. I do have 4 cat posts for them.

nativetexan 11-22-2013 07:19 AM

Oh do you really think you must declaw him?. IT's very painful. Talk to the Vet first and make sure you need to do this. I know, cats can claw but giving them a scratch pad and or post works very well. I have three cats. Other than that, have tons of fun with your new member of the family. .... oh sorry to go on about claws. I see many feel the same. I didn't think much of it until I found out exactly how they do it. yikes.

amelia0607 11-22-2013 07:26 AM

My daughter puts claw caps on her cat. He is a "grumpy" boy and doesn't like to be held but she does this while he's sleeping and he doesn't even know it. I would imagine that if you started with the claw caps when he was a kitten, he wouldn't mind at all.

Also, I've had two cats inside/outside and neither one has ever clawed at furniture. I do have one that likes to prod the carpet and sometimes claws get hung but its nothing major.

Best wishes on your new family addition and enjoy retirement!!

nativetexan 11-22-2013 08:12 AM

post a photo of your kitty too! we'd love to see one.

sandybeach 11-22-2013 08:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I also have to disagree with declawing. I've had two cats at a time for the past 44 years and have rarely had a piece of furniture hurt. And just for your information, I read that catnip had no affect on cats until they are about 1 year old. So don't expect that to work yet. I have one cat that loves to claw the foam kitchen mat. And the other one likes to claw on sisal wrapped posts. If you get it in your area, watch "My cat from hell" on the Animal Planet channel. That guy really knows cats and has some wonderful suggestions. Because of him, I turned my back patio into a "catio". They have scratching posts, chairs with cushions to curl up on and sleep, carpet covered wood ramps for them to run around the perimeter and, of course, some green plastic netting enclosing the whole patio. They just love it. If you don't have a patio that you can enclose, just be sure the cat has different places in the house where he can get up high and look down on the world. They are much more secure there.

tessagin 11-22-2013 09:08 AM

Just wanted to add, I am not in favor of declawing, even though I stated frontal declaw. The cat I had was declawed when I got her. She did get out one day thanks to my boys leaving the door open. We lived in a mobile home park. The neighbors dog, a Rottweiler mix, got into our yard and went after my Jetta. He grabbed her the wrong way. She bit him really good and didn't let go, then with her back claws, she literally shredded his jewels and almost castrated him. He let go she didn't. The dogs owner heard him yelping and I had just gotten home. He didn't know my cat's grip. She finally let go and ran into the house. He took me to court for the damages done to his dog. He lost because the park rules stated dogs needed to be put on leash at all times or contained in their own yard and no dogs allowed over 40 lbs. I didn't want Jetta ever subjected to this again. I gave her to a friend along with all her vet records. She had a kitten who was 3 months. I had her spayed shortly after weaning her kitten. The kitten went with her. Not long after the kitten was spayed. They had a long life with my friend and I had never seen her so content. I'm sure they have both passed on. I'm not in favor of taking away any animals defense mechanisms. Jetta and Lea were the last cats I had and I want no more. Getting out of patience.

Diannia 11-22-2013 09:21 AM

Congrats on the new kitten. As for the declawing, I agree it is not something I would choose to have done. I have 2 cats. The first came to us grown, neutered and declawed in the front. She is Siamese and also cross-eyed. Because of her front claw removal she is clumsy and now that she's older she has trouble jumping onto things. When she is on my lap if she gets startled and jumps off she uses her back claws and tears up my legs if I'm not careful. She only goes out in the back (fenced) once in a while because of the declawing. The other cat came to us as a kitten. We did not get her declawed (thought about it but decided against it) She was an inside only cat until she discovered an escape route in the garage. We repaired her escape route and she started spraying in the house as retaliation so we now let her come in and out at will. I guess what I'm trying to say is if I had a choice I wouldn't declaw BUT I don't agree with Chasing Hawk's comment that you might as well put the cat down if you're going to declaw...that's a bit harsh. We aren't living in your house or your shoes. Only you can decide what's best...and as far as I'm concerned I'm glad my Siamese is alive and not dead because she's declawed...