Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Life with a cat (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/life-cat-t235239.html)

Cagey 11-21-2013 07:48 PM

Life with a cat

The cat that I received as a retirement gift (from what I thought was a friend) is quite the character. I've never had a kitten in the house before and it sure is an experience. Into everything but the dog seems to enjoy the challenge. Taking him in to get fixed and declawed on Monday and my DH thinks this will settle him down. He's 6 months old. Please tell me my DH is right.

tessagin 11-21-2013 07:56 PM

As far as getting him neutered, that is an excellent idea. If he's litter box trained that is excellent also. On the other hand he is still a kitten. At 6 months he is like a 2 year old. he is still a baby. Sounds like your dog is happy with him and that is a good thing. Hopefully you're not going to get him totally declawed and only frontal. If he would accidentally get outside, he could still at least defend him self some what or at least climb to get away from unwanted predators or bullies. I had cats but that was 3 decades ago. I hate seeing the strays in our neighborhood running from other animals. But first things first, the neutering.

Chasing Hawk 11-21-2013 08:09 PM

Please, Please don't get him declawed. There is nothing worse one can do to a cat.

To keep him from clawing at the furniture keep PLENTY of scratching posts around. We have one cat and she has 5 posts scattered around the house. Also keep a squirt bottle handy for times when they "forget" where their post is. :)
Having him neutered will help settle him down some.

Declawing means they will take his claws out all the way to their first knuckle it's painful for them. It's inhumane. And he won't be able to defend himself if he happens to get outside. Without his front claws he will not be able to climb a tree if a dog is after him.

You might as well have him put down if your going to take away his only defense. By removing his claws.

SandyinZ4 11-21-2013 08:13 PM

I agree against declawing. Please, please don't have it done. Give him a scratching post rubbed with catnip and encourage him to use it. Use the spray bottle if he scratches on anything else. I agree with the neutering. Just my opinion.

Jan in VA 11-21-2013 09:55 PM

Can you research this declawing on the internet first before taking this permanent, extremely painful, traumatic procedure on your new friend? Cat's bad behavior is rarely a physical problem, but more frequently a caregiver/training problem.

Jan in VA

janedee 11-21-2013 11:26 PM

how I would love to have another cat, but I don't think my terrier would behave herself!!! neutering is an excellent idea, but have to say, like previous posts please please don't take his claws away - over here in the UK NO vet would even consider this and it certainly won't change his behaviour.

carolaug 11-22-2013 01:34 AM

You can clip his claws weekly and get him the cardboard box
scratching thingy...my cats love it with cat nip, also buy a scratching post. Put them in different areas in the house. I small carpet throw rug (the heavy thick ones) they love to roll and dig their claws in them. and most of all...play with him/her...that is the biggest mistake of owners...those who just let them be bored all day. I have three cats and love them all!

Stiffchick 11-22-2013 02:20 AM

Hi! I have 8 cats. We say cat hair is a clothing accessory and a food condiment here. Don't remember where I heard that but I love it. I know declawing is a touchy subject, much like clipping a pet birds wings is. I have not declawed any of my cats, nor would I personally in the future. But that being said, I would not hold it against someone who did declaw. While finding a vet to do the procedure is getting more difficult, there are still some out there that will. I am saying all this with the utmost respect to everyone that posted before and after me. To declaw or not declaw is a personal choice, and in my opinion, if it is the difference between a cat being able to stay in its home and not end up on the streets (and eventually at my house lol) or in a shelter, I say do it. If god forbid the housing situation changes and kitty can no longer stay in his home, declawed cats are adopted much quicker too. Just my thoughts. I know it's painful and leaves them defenseless if they get out. I worked in a vet clinic where some vets wouldn't declaw and some of the older vets would. It's just so sad the overpopulation problem, there are not enough homes. Anything that helps them get homes and stay out of shelters can't be frowned upon completely, can it?

i also wanted to say congratulations on your new kitty!! He will calm down with age and after being fixed. (They tend to get a little fat) a spray bottle with water will help teach him where he can and cannot go. Lots of play time while watching tv or talking on the phone will wear him out and keep his hunting need filled. (Also they generally stop climbing things as they grow up out of kitten stage)

SherriB 11-22-2013 03:14 AM

Congratulations on your new kitten! We have 3 kitties and love them to pieces. Our baby, Sylvester, is just about 9 months old and we got him neutered about 2 months ago. He and our other younger kitty, Callie, who is 1 yr old, still love to play and run through the house occasionally. But for the most part, they are quite content to lounge around and be petted. Sylvester and Callie both have gotten chubby since their operations back in the late summer. None of our kitties are declawed.

ragquilter 11-22-2013 04:21 AM

I have 2 cats at the present and have had 2 others that have passed on due to old age. I have never declawed one and I do not have issues. I agree with spay and neutering, it must be done. There are too many unwanted pets, and it does settle them down. Declawed cats can start biting as it is all they have left. I know some people do it and it is your decision. Indoor cats generally have a long life and they do escape occasionally (seems to be a game with mine).