Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Little House on the Prairie (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/little-house-prairie-t223862.html)

Jingle 06-17-2013 06:02 AM

I'm not big on the TV shows. I have read all of the Laura Ingalls Wilder books. I enjoyed reading how they lived their lives back then.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 06-17-2013 06:12 AM

I have read the books so many times it's crazy. Even now as an adult when I'm feeling down, I'll pull them out and read them.

MCH 06-17-2013 01:12 PM

When I was in third grade (don't ask which decade of the previous century), my teacher read all the Little House books to us...and then, I borrowed them from the bookmobile and read them myself...and every few years, I re-read them. Hint: I think the books my teach read to us would have been first editions. I have the paperback set on the shelf in my sewing room. IMHO, it is a series of books every child should read. The lessons, attitudes, and values illustrated in those books are ones every child needs to learn.

Hmmm...just had an idea. Wouldn't it be a treasure for the grandchildren if they had a set of the books or perhaps just one or two of them, accompanied by a recording of Grandma and / or Grandpa reading the story. There is time do complete that project as a Christmas present...Hmmm..."visions of the Big Woods dancing in my head..." And, to top it off, perhaps a small quilt. What a unique Christmas gift!!

ktarsha 06-17-2013 01:16 PM

I was a huge fan of the TV show when I was a kid in the '70s, but not so much now, at least not the later episodes. I think the longer the show went on, the further they got from the books and the more sensational the plots became. I do still love the books, and I hope someday to be able to visit the museum.

Quilts rock 06-17-2013 02:10 PM

Loved that show and loved the idea that my kids could watch it without me worrying what they may be watching.

Dolphyngyrl 06-17-2013 06:07 PM

Still am trying to persuade the hubby to buy me the boxed set, sadly valentines, anniversary and mothers day went by with no LHOP dvd's

MothrNatr 06-17-2013 08:27 PM

If you get INSP network they also have them. I am DVR'ing them to watch when nothing else is on. There is a great Redwork quilt that is touted as LHOP as well as a book with blocks. Good wholesome programming with a good story. Wish there were more like this on regular TV.

auntpiggylpn 06-17-2013 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by MothrNatr (Post 6128507)
If you get INSP network they also have them. I am DVR'ing them to watch when nothing else is on. There is a great Redwork quilt that is touted as LHOP as well as a book with blocks. Good wholesome programming with a good story. Wish there were more like this on regular TV.

I didn't know about the quilt book so I googled it. http://www.amazon.com/Quilting-Laura.../dp/1889825034

romanojg 06-18-2013 03:18 AM

I loved it too when it was on and love everything that Melissa Gilbert played in. My grandson now 7 started watching the old reruns when he was 5 with me and once he got over the shock that there were no cars, bikes and electricity and not everyone had horses and buggies so they had to walk he couldn't get enough of it. They had a 5hr marathon one night and he stayed up to watch the whole thing. What drew him in was the lack of everything but I think seeing how happy they all were made him see things differently. At the same time he got addicted to the Waltons too, they had more modern stuff than LHOTP did but still didn't have a lot. He also fell in love with my treadle when I bought it; the moment he processed it didn't run on electric (he's never seen it ran) he just thought it was the greatest. I've promised him I'd never sell it and it was his when he got old enough; that and my antique bedroom set that he fell in love with at age 3. He has a real appreciation for things even at his age. I had to go down to basic TV so I don't get Hallmark channel now but sure do miss it. The holidays were the worst.

Battle Axe 06-18-2013 03:59 AM

It has been on my bucket list to visit all of the places Laura lived. So far I've been to Mansfield, MO and Burr Oak. I have also traveled through Golden City, Mo mentioned in one of the books. The book "Laura" which is about Laura Ingalls Wilder reveals that Pa was not as he was portrayed on TV. I think the dugout was found about 20-30 years ago and was owned by the parents of a TV anchor. I'm old now and don't remember much. But I do remember my grandmother telling me when Laura died. My grandmother didn't know Laura, but had many of the same experiences.

Marcia