Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Little House on the Prairie (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/little-house-prairie-t223862.html)

stitchinwitch 06-18-2013 04:42 AM

[COLOR="#FF0000"]For all of you fans out there, you should make a trip to see the house that she and Almonzo had shared. I live about 5 miles from their homes, and even the graveyard in which they are buried..(Laura, Almonzo, and even Rose)There is a VERY interesting museum there, with Pa's fiddle, Laura's dresses (boy, was she tiny!!)
It makes you realize after seeing her home that she had seen so much in her life. The kitchen is just about "Barbie-Doll size" - the stairs going to Rose's room is narrow and straight up - that is off limits to viewers, but the living room is so comfortable - it practically encourages you to sit and stay a while.
The brick house is really modern, too, It was built by Rose for her parents, but they moved back to the house that Almonzo built. We have the Laura Ingalls Wilder library which features a large section of pictures and books. Laura was quite active in town, heading commitees, etc[ - we have a festival every year with a play. Do a google on Laura Ingalls Wilder, Mansfield, MO and you will see pictures, etc. and lots of stories of her life here. If you DO come visit, give me a jingle !/COLOR]

Latrinka 06-18-2013 05:22 AM

I always loved that show! TV shows nowdays make me love my radio and sewing machine more and more!

matraina 06-18-2013 07:31 AM

Loved that show. Watched it every week with my kids. I started buying my daughter the books whenever I saw them. She's reading them to her daughter now.

mimi=17 06-18-2013 11:11 AM

I do not want to go back in time BUT wasn't it wonderful' and the values of home & family. We have lost so much. I miss the GOOD OLE DAYS...

Jingle 06-18-2013 01:04 PM

Oldest Daughter and I visited Laura and Almanzo's house, in Mansfield. It was great. We had two little kids (2 and 3 yrs.) so we couldn't spend too much time inside. We really enjoyed it, both of us had read the books.
Lots of old great TV shows are being aired. I'm not much of a TV watcher, I do listen to them.

antiquegirl68 06-18-2013 03:32 PM

I loved this show also, watched a lot when growing up. I have two sisters so it was fun watching it with them.

Seaside gal 06-18-2013 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by MCH (Post 6127890)
When I was in third grade (don't ask which decade of the previous century), my teacher read all the Little House books to us...and then, I borrowed them from the bookmobile and read them myself...and every few years, I re-read them. Hint: I think the books my teach read to us would have been first editions. I have the paperback set on the shelf in my sewing room. IMHO, it is a series of books every child should read. The lessons, attitudes, and values illustrated in those books are ones every child needs to learn.

Hmmm...just had an idea. Wouldn't it be a treasure for the grandchildren if they had a set of the books or perhaps just one or two of them, accompanied by a recording of Grandma and / or Grandpa reading the story. There is time do complete that project as a Christmas present...Hmmm..."visions of the Big Woods dancing in my head..." And, to top it off, perhaps a small quilt. What a unique Christmas gift!!

I love Little House too, been to Mansfield, went miles out of my way to see Laura's house but what caught my eye on your post was the mention of the bookmobile. I so loved it when the bookmobile came to our country school. Lots of people have never heard of them.

TMK 06-18-2013 06:12 PM

I live in northern NY near Malone where Farmer Boy was written about. The WilderFarm is a local tourist stop. My wedding was held under the apple trees there almost 16 years ago. The man who played Almanzo in the show was there two years ago during a special event. The local fair that the family participated in has continued on the same grounds since 1852.

starshine 06-19-2013 01:35 AM

We watched the show back when it was on the network, and I'd read to books to the kids. The show and the books were family favorites. I'm going to add the museums to my "where to go" list. It's amazing that the Wilder farm area has a fair that has gone on since 1852-is it a county fair?

AlienQuilter 06-19-2013 06:20 AM

Loved the show, but loved the books even more. I know a lot of shows don't follow the books - which is very irritating, but I remember one episode where Laura refused to sell her stories because the publisher wanted her to change the story line to a boy as the main character. She did not want to change anything. Which was very hypocritical of Michael Langdon since he played very loose with the story line.

The saddest difference was that Mary did not get married.