Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Location in Hiding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/location-hiding-t128701.html)

Normabeth 06-07-2011 06:16 AM

I fail to understand why so many choose to use the location in hiding option. Am I the only once that does? Are quilters afraid that someone might find them? I would embrace finding new quilting friends.
NormaBeth

thequiltmama 06-07-2011 06:23 AM

I understand the city being hidden but I do show my state. :)

Crabby Patty 06-07-2011 06:26 AM

I know I have been wondering the same thing. When I read a post about weather, etc. and look to see where they are from and get the 'in hiding' I don't have any idea where the weather is at. I don't read a lot of those 'in hiding' posts.

mzmama 06-07-2011 06:27 AM

I can only guess that they don't know how to put it in or how to change it. Do they think we are going to come knock on their doors? I think I would love to have one of you guys come quilt with me and have tea or coffee.

DebraK 06-07-2011 06:47 AM

Maybe they just don't care. That's perfectly okay with me. I didn't change mine for a long time until people started pestering me about it.

LindaM 06-07-2011 06:51 AM

Part of my concern in pinpointing my exact location - this board is available to everyone not just board members, and I work hard at protecting my personal information. I want to know who I reveal it to, for what purpose. Not that I'm concerned about board members, just the rest of the world.

feline fanatic 06-07-2011 06:55 AM

There are loads of reasons for "in hiding" or funny location like Bikini Bottom, at my machine, in the sun, etc.

One reason is secret angel swaps. Participants don't want to give themselves away with the postmark being matched up to location, some users don't know how to update it in their user profile or never realized there was a spot for it when they first registered, some net users just prefer total Anonymity, there could be personal reasons, like an ex who has turned stalker or for all you know we may have members in the Witness protection program!! :lol: OK that last one was just a tad facetious. There have been many topics on the subject and it all boils down to a participants own preference. If you are that curious or a post is about weather for fires or whatever just ask where they are talking about or send a PM.

Susie Quilter 06-07-2011 07:29 AM

I guess I never paid attention to where they are from.

Rebecca VLQ 06-07-2011 07:44 AM

I see it sometimes, but the bulk of what I read here doesn't really matter where they're from!

Quilter7x 06-07-2011 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by LindaM
Part of my concern in pinpointing my exact location - this board is available to everyone not just board members, and I work hard at protecting my personal information. I want to know who I reveal it to, for what purpose. Not that I'm concerned about board members, just the rest of the world.

BINGO!!! That's my reason, too. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to protect yourself.

People have asked me where I'm from and I send them a PM explaining why I don't want that info out there for anyone on the world-wide-web to see.

Great question, I hope people are helping you to understand why we don't put our locations.