Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   looking for a spot to vacation (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/looking-spot-vacation-t241875.html)

sdeaaz 02-24-2014 08:22 AM

looking for a spot to vacation

I am recently retired.... and my DH and I are looking for a place to vacation next winter. We lived in Mesa for 6 years, but moved back to Iowa when the grandbabies started arriving.... I have 5 now.... Anyway... We would like to go someplace else and see something different for the winter and get out of Iowa for a month or 2 or 3... Does anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks

Billi 02-24-2014 08:40 AM

If out of the US is an option I recommend Costa Rica, dh and I were ther for 5 weeks this winter we loved it. We met amazing people and learned a lot about the culture and country. Even after 5 weeks we would go back and spend 5 more.

In the US well I have to recommend my home San Diego.

toverly 02-24-2014 10:10 AM

We've got lots of snowbirds on the Gulf Coast. Many return year after year and become old friends with other snowbirds.

jitkaau 02-25-2014 05:35 AM

Depends how far you want to go...It's nice over here and we speak nearly the same language. Why not give it a thought?

flikkem 02-25-2014 06:13 AM

Winter retreat

Originally Posted by sdeaaz (Post 6593271)
I am recently retired.... and my DH and I are looking for a place to vacation next winter. We lived in Mesa for 6 years, but moved back to Iowa when the grandbabies started arriving.... I have 5 now.... Anyway... We would like to go someplace else and see something different for the winter and get out of Iowa for a month or 2 or 3... Does anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks

Our San Antonio and out-lying areas have lots to offer.
We have had snowbirds in our quilting guild.
Contact me if you would ever like to visit.
I have Midwestern roots (ND) so we'd have that in common.

Stitch124 02-25-2014 06:19 AM

Just the idea of a vacation is a vacation for me. Once I 'vacation' it will be permanent. Looking forward to retirement...60 now and can't wait!

plainpat 02-25-2014 08:29 AM

You'll find the best weather in Fl if you don't go stay too far North.Southern California is nice but pricey.

Southern Tx gets a lot of wind,but there are lower cost campgrounds.It' a long ways from anywhere.

We never had much luck with weather in Az or Las Vegas,tho many do. Guess it's pay your
money & take your choice. JMO

Bcfernurse 02-25-2014 09:10 AM

Come to Delaware

Delaware so much to offer, no sales tax, many outlet ....Amish country very close 37 miles from Newark, so many wonderful quilt shops. Come to our guild meetings while here. Close to Baltimore, NY, etc....

FroggyinTexas 02-25-2014 01:54 PM

My best friend and her husband spend every January and February at South Padre Island in Texas. Lots of activities for the snow birds, including a kite flying contest and quilting bees and a Red Hat group. Just Google it and you will get lots of information. froggyintexas

mjhaess 02-25-2014 02:25 PM

Charleston SC. is a beautiful city with a lot of history and a lot of things to see and do....