Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: looking for a spot to vacation

looking for a spot to vacation

I am recently retired.... and my DH and I are looking for a place to vacation next winter. We lived in Mesa for 6 years, but moved back to Iowa when the grandbabies started arriving.... I have 5 now.... Anyway... We would like to go someplace else and see something different for the winter and get out of Iowa for a month or 2 or 3... Does anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks

If out of the US is an option I recommend Costa Rica, dh and I were ther for 5 weeks this winter we loved it. We met amazing people and learned a lot about the culture and country. Even after 5 weeks we would go back and spend 5 more.

In the US well I have to recommend my home San Diego.
    Billi
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood

We've got lots of snowbirds on the Gulf Coast. Many return year after year and become old friends with other snowbirds.

Depends how far you want to go...It's nice over here and we speak nearly the same language. Why not give it a thought?

Winter retreat

Quote Originally Posted by sdeaaz View Post
    I am recently retired.... and my DH and I are looking for a place to vacation next winter. We lived in Mesa for 6 years, but moved back to Iowa when the grandbabies started arriving.... I have 5 now.... Anyway... We would like to go someplace else and see something different for the winter and get out of Iowa for a month or 2 or 3... Does anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks
    Our San Antonio and out-lying areas have lots to offer.
    We have had snowbirds in our quilting guild.
    Contact me if you would ever like to visit.
    I have Midwestern roots (ND) so we'd have that in common.
    Mary Jane Flikke

Just the idea of a vacation is a vacation for me. Once I 'vacation' it will be permanent. Looking forward to retirement...60 now and can't wait!

Blog Entries
    You'll find the best weather in Fl if you don't go stay too far North.Southern California is nice but pricey.

Southern Tx gets a lot of wind,but there are lower cost campgrounds.It' a long ways from anywhere.

We never had much luck with weather in Az or Las Vegas,tho many do. Guess it's pay your
    money & take your choice. JMO
    Pat

Come to Delaware

Delaware so much to offer, no sales tax, many outlet ....Amish country very close 37 miles from Newark, so many wonderful quilt shops. Come to our guild meetings while here. Close to Baltimore, NY, etc....

My best friend and her husband spend every January and February at South Padre Island in Texas. Lots of activities for the snow birds, including a kite flying contest and quilting bees and a Red Hat group. Just Google it and you will get lots of information. froggyintexas

Power Poster
    Charleston SC. is a beautiful city with a lot of history and a lot of things to see and do....

Not sure if it would suit you for a whole winter, but we love the St.George area of UT, near Zion, Bryce and other parks and a couple hours will get you to Vegas. If you just want to relax and not be 'doing' all the time, it might be a consideration. We try to go back once a year for several days cuz we can't see everything we want in a short time, and love walking Bryce and Zion and seeing the beauty of nature, the red rocks etc.
    Warm quilt hugs, Sue in CA
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PostCardMailArt

Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death....Rosalind Russell

Blog Entries
    How about coming down south and visiting New Orleans. There are so many things to see. We are having our Mardi Gras celebration now and that is a lot of fun.

The Georgia Coast is beautiful and hosts many snowbirds! Savannah is so old and historic, and about an hour down the coast are Jekyll Island and St Simons Island. Jekyll is quiet and peaceful, lots of nature to watch. St Simons has the only quilt shop in the area (Stepping Stones Quilts) and the island is more developed. I love them both for different reasons.
    Mistakes are just opportunities to invent a new quilting technique!

The Florida Keys.

Blog Entries
    We just returned from a (too short) trip to Georgia and Northern Fla. We absolutely loved the Beaufort S.C. area, Hilton Head and all the small islands around Savannah. Loved Savannah and St. Augustine Fla. There is so much history in this area; we saw lots of museums, plantation houses etc. Lots of examples of old handwork that was just astounding. If in Savannah visit Samantha Claar's studio, so colorful and interesting! Don't miss Midway Museum near Hinesville, GA. Hofwyl-Broadfield Plantation near Darian, Ga., the Lightner Musuem and Flagler college in St Augustines are all must sees, and the Pirate museum is very interesting.

Hawaii!! Pricey but the weather is perfect!
    Pfaff Ambition 1.0
    Pfaff Performance 5.0

I second Florida Gulf Coast. I live in Pinellas County which includes Clearwater and St. Petersburg. We're right across the small bay from Tampa. Many different types of activities from sugar sand beaches to great theater, orchestra and opera, and every thing in between. Guilds, quilt shows including the big expo in Lakeland in March. Several great LQS's and 2 JoAnns - 3 if you count Tampa. Orlando is a quick drive as is Daytona if hubby is a Nascar fan. Also many MLB teams have spring trAining all over the area including our awesome Rays!
    “Come to me all you who are weary and I will give you rest”~Jesus

Stay away from NW PA unless you like to ski and snowboard! And freeze! LOL!
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Excuse me but I live on the Gulf in Corpus Christi and it isn't a long way from anywhere. Yes we have a constant wind but it always varies. I'm from Indiana originally and the drive from different points of interest could be as much as an hours drive or longer. Same as Ohio. It all depends on what your interests are.
    Quote Originally Posted by plainpat View Post
    You'll find the best weather in Fl if you don't go stay too far North.Southern California is nice but pricey.

Southern Tx gets a lot of wind,but there are lower cost campgrounds.It' a long ways from anywhere.

We never had much luck with weather in Az or Las Vegas,tho many do. Guess it's pay your
    money & take your choice. JMO