Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Recommended Vacation Spot

Recommended Vacation Spot

I plan on having a personal vacation by the first quarter of the year. I am not a swimmer but enjoys the beach by just mere looking at it and of course,by doing some sketches although I have a lot to improve. Is there anyone who recently went on vacation by the shore? I do not usually rely on review sites instead on recommendations. Thanks

My favorite beaches are in Northern California and southern Oregon. Although they may be a little chilly in the first quarter. The area around Santa Barbara, Cal. is very pretty, too and warmer. If you're in the east I've been to Savannah, GA and would say those long white beaches are gorgeous. We went out to Tybee Island as well and enjoyed the laid back, rather vintage charm there.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

For years, my family went to Stella Maris, a resort on Long Island in the Bahamas. We loved it. Wish I could go back.

Well you didn't say if you wanted to stay continental US or venture further. Last year we went to Costa Rica and it was beautiful warm water and wonderful people. Hawaii has a lot to offer as far as enjoyable beaches without necessarily swimming. . One of my favorite things we have done was grand cayman when we swam with the stingray. And by swimm I mean hung out on a sandbar with wild stingrays it was amazing. We like vacations in the sun with warm water to play in.
    Billi
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood

I love Dillon Beach just north of San Francisco, CA. There is not much to do there except to walk the beach and enjoy the ocean. I love sitting in the house we rent reading or hand sewing and watching the ocean. I'm not sure I would go there in the 1st quarter, it is chilly.

The beaches around Charleston, South Carolina are great. My personal favorite is Folly Beach and the largest vacation home rental company there is called Avocet. charleston is a fun place to visit especially if you like historical homes, plantations and other Civil War history. Great restaurants too.

Hawaii (especially Kauai'i) is my absolute favorite! All of Oregon's coast is beautiful - we always make a trip to the Oregon Coast each year. I'm on the west coast. If you're in the south or east, the Caribbean is probably easier for you. I couldn't make up my mind on which island in the Caribbean to visit, so we booked a Southern Caribbean Cruise and visited multiple islands!
    Pfaff Ambition 1.0
    Pfaff Performance 5.0

Blog Entries
    Fernandina Beach, FL and Amelia Island are nice and if you want history included, try St. Augustine. Quilt shops are in the area, too. You could fly into Jacksonville, FL, rent a car and be on your way!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I second Hawaii. We stayed on the island of Maui and the beaches were wonderful. Also California - we stayed in Malibu and it has miles of beach. Very picturesque.
    Lori

What kind of beach do you like? Long stretches of uninterrupted white sand? Rocky cliffs with pounding surf? Pebbly beaches with tide pools?

I live near the Pacific and I love the rugged wild beauty of the north coast, but this time of year I like the ocean best as the view from a warm room! NOT the right time of year to go wading, lol.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tesspug View Post
    My favorite beaches are in Northern California and southern Oregon. Although they may be a little chilly in the first quarter. The area around Santa Barbara, Cal. is very pretty, too and warmer. If you're in the east I've been to Savannah, GA and would say those long white beaches are gorgeous. We went out to Tybee Island as well and enjoyed the laid back, rather vintage charm there.
    I have a friend who lives in Savannah and they absolutely love it!

The Florida Keys have some great spots for strolling, lounging and relaxing, but will probably be packed until mid April. Don't know anywhere that will be guaranteed warmth through March. Just about all places get cold snaps from time to time then. Even Hawaii is getting some record low temps now. You rarely see 50's there at sea level, on any of the islands. Of course at high altitudes, it can be very cold. Our son lives on the Big Island and he sent this today:

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...l?id=287473601

Blog Entries
    Well, the temperature (windchill) here is supposed to get to -51 degrees F by Wednesday. You better rule out Minnesota!

I'm from Charleston, SC and grew up on James Island (the island next to Folly). Folly Beach was my hang out as a kid. I also lived on Folly after I graduated - back when it was dead in the winter and it WAS the beach for the locals in the summer. I still have family in Charleston and I rent a beach house for a week every summer. Love it! So, I second the comment above about Charleston and Folly. If you want to get out of the country, I vote for the Greek Islands ;-) If I HAD to live in another country - the Greek Islands would have my vote!
    Debbie in Kentucky
    kydeb.wordpress.com

I am partial to SW Florida--Ft. Meyers, Bonita Springs, Naples, area.

Blog Entries
    For me it's Hawaii (especially Kauai'i) love it there and try and get there at least every second year And yeppy this is the year we go for a whole month of February......can't wait.

BCM
    Northeast-visit Maine beaches; Southeast vist Gulf Shores. Both areas not crowded.

I also recommend Fernandina Beach on Amelia Island. We vacationed here several times over the years and loved it enough that we moved here last March. I can't say enough good things about this area. It has something for everyone from beautiful beaches, to historical downtown, to marina's, fabulous restaurants, boat cruises, fishing excursions, jet ski rentals . . . Just a fun, beautiful, restful vacation spot!

You know it's funny I suggested my favorite places to visit and forgot my hometown San Diego is a beautiful place to visit. Since swimming is not necessarily a priority for you our beaches are wonderful this time of year almost always warm enough to walk along and not crowded.

Other things to see Balboa park, San Diego Zoo, Cabrillo national monument, Seaworld just to name a few. head to Ocean Beach and many antique stores on New Port ave. or wander further east to La Mesa and the many antique stores and cute little quilt shop If you tire of the coast an hour away is the small mountain town of Jullian or venture further to the borrego desert.

Do you want to visit quilt shops? From our north county to the east county and into south county there are 12 or more shops most of them worth visiting...you could do it in a day but you would be exhausted I would take 2.
    Billi
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood

Quote Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
    What kind of beach do you like? Long stretches of uninterrupted white sand? Rocky cliffs with pounding surf? Pebbly beaches with tide pools?

I live near the Pacific and I love the rugged wild beauty of the north coast, but this time of year I like the ocean best as the view from a warm room! NOT the right time of year to go wading, lol.
    I used to live in Oregon and I agree. The icy cold wind and the pelting sand is not something I would want to sit in. I did go for brief walks year round and it is gorgeous.
    Anna Quilts

I don't know about beaches, but if I had money and could go ANYWHERE. I would be in Boston. The history in that city is tremendous, and it is very close to Salem, and Cape Cod.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

If you want to be WARM - go to French Polynesia. It is summer there now and the lagoons and beaches are just like what you see in the movies - virtually empty of people. Great for photography, painting, lounging, getting tan, etc. Just came back (reluctantly). Not terribly expensive (even the air fare is reasonable if you book two months ahead). Exchange rate is not bad either. But, YOU CAN"T BEAT THE LUSH GREENERY, FLOWERS AND THE COLORS OF THE WATER! Besides, you get to go to Tahiti, Moorea, Bora Bora, and more.

Forgot to add: There are fabric shops on Riatea and Tahiti.

I recommend Honeymoon Island, Dunedin, Florida. There are four quilt shops in the area too!

Vacation

I love Melbourne Beach, FL. My husband and I bought a townhouse there. We have two children living there. Beautiful beach and not crowded. Easy to get there by flying in to Orlando and driving about an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by smallstrips View Post
    I plan on having a personal vacation by the first quarter of the year. I am not a swimmer but enjoys the beach by just mere looking at it and of course,by doing some sketches although I have a lot to improve. Is there anyone who recently went on vacation by the shore? I do not usually rely on review sites instead on recommendations. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast