Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Recommended Vacation Spot (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/recommended-vacation-spot-t259198.html)

smallstrips 01-04-2015 05:12 PM

Recommended Vacation Spot

I plan on having a personal vacation by the first quarter of the year. I am not a swimmer but enjoys the beach by just mere looking at it and of course,by doing some sketches although I have a lot to improve. Is there anyone who recently went on vacation by the shore? I do not usually rely on review sites instead on recommendations. Thanks

tesspug 01-04-2015 05:26 PM

My favorite beaches are in Northern California and southern Oregon. Although they may be a little chilly in the first quarter. The area around Santa Barbara, Cal. is very pretty, too and warmer. If you're in the east I've been to Savannah, GA and would say those long white beaches are gorgeous. We went out to Tybee Island as well and enjoyed the laid back, rather vintage charm there.

gramajo 01-04-2015 06:09 PM

For years, my family went to Stella Maris, a resort on Long Island in the Bahamas. We loved it. Wish I could go back.

Billi 01-04-2015 06:46 PM

Well you didn't say if you wanted to stay continental US or venture further. Last year we went to Costa Rica and it was beautiful warm water and wonderful people. Hawaii has a lot to offer as far as enjoyable beaches without necessarily swimming. . One of my favorite things we have done was grand cayman when we swam with the stingray. And by swimm I mean hung out on a sandbar with wild stingrays it was amazing. We like vacations in the sun with warm water to play in.

amber1957 01-04-2015 07:05 PM

I love Dillon Beach just north of San Francisco, CA. There is not much to do there except to walk the beach and enjoy the ocean. I love sitting in the house we rent reading or hand sewing and watching the ocean. I'm not sure I would go there in the 1st quarter, it is chilly.

Jeanne S 01-04-2015 07:14 PM

The beaches around Charleston, South Carolina are great. My personal favorite is Folly Beach and the largest vacation home rental company there is called Avocet. charleston is a fun place to visit especially if you like historical homes, plantations and other Civil War history. Great restaurants too.

icul8rg8r 01-05-2015 02:32 AM

Hawaii (especially Kauai'i) is my absolute favorite! All of Oregon's coast is beautiful - we always make a trip to the Oregon Coast each year. I'm on the west coast. If you're in the south or east, the Caribbean is probably easier for you. I couldn't make up my mind on which island in the Caribbean to visit, so we booked a Southern Caribbean Cruise and visited multiple islands!

coopah 01-05-2015 05:41 AM

Fernandina Beach, FL and Amelia Island are nice and if you want history included, try St. Augustine. Quilt shops are in the area, too. You could fly into Jacksonville, FL, rent a car and be on your way!

Doggramma 01-05-2015 06:44 AM

I second Hawaii. We stayed on the island of Maui and the beaches were wonderful. Also California - we stayed in Malibu and it has miles of beach. Very picturesque.

Sewnoma 01-05-2015 06:56 AM

What kind of beach do you like? Long stretches of uninterrupted white sand? Rocky cliffs with pounding surf? Pebbly beaches with tide pools?

I live near the Pacific and I love the rugged wild beauty of the north coast, but this time of year I like the ocean best as the view from a warm room! NOT the right time of year to go wading, lol.