Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Recommended Vacation Spot (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/recommended-vacation-spot-t259198.html)

clem55 01-05-2015 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by tesspug (Post 7034106)
My favorite beaches are in Northern California and southern Oregon. Although they may be a little chilly in the first quarter. The area around Santa Barbara, Cal. is very pretty, too and warmer. If you're in the east I've been to Savannah, GA and would say those long white beaches are gorgeous. We went out to Tybee Island as well and enjoyed the laid back, rather vintage charm there.

I have a friend who lives in Savannah and they absolutely love it!

Needles 01-05-2015 01:40 PM

The Florida Keys have some great spots for strolling, lounging and relaxing, but will probably be packed until mid April. Don't know anywhere that will be guaranteed warmth through March. Just about all places get cold snaps from time to time then. Even Hawaii is getting some record low temps now. You rarely see 50's there at sea level, on any of the islands. Of course at high altitudes, it can be very cold. Our son lives on the Big Island and he sent this today:

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...l?id=287473601

Sandra in Minnesota 01-05-2015 03:29 PM

Well, the temperature (windchill) here is supposed to get to -51 degrees F by Wednesday. You better rule out Minnesota!

kydeb 01-05-2015 04:16 PM

I'm from Charleston, SC and grew up on James Island (the island next to Folly). Folly Beach was my hang out as a kid. I also lived on Folly after I graduated - back when it was dead in the winter and it WAS the beach for the locals in the summer. I still have family in Charleston and I rent a beach house for a week every summer. Love it! So, I second the comment above about Charleston and Folly. If you want to get out of the country, I vote for the Greek Islands ;-) If I HAD to live in another country - the Greek Islands would have my vote!

Jo Anne B. 01-05-2015 05:27 PM

I am partial to SW Florida--Ft. Meyers, Bonita Springs, Naples, area.

btiny36 01-05-2015 05:56 PM

For me it's Hawaii (especially Kauai'i) love it there and try and get there at least every second year And yeppy this is the year we go for a whole month of February......can't wait.

BCM 01-06-2015 06:01 AM

Northeast-visit Maine beaches; Southeast vist Gulf Shores. Both areas not crowded.

Piper 01-06-2015 06:12 AM

I also recommend Fernandina Beach on Amelia Island. We vacationed here several times over the years and loved it enough that we moved here last March. I can't say enough good things about this area. It has something for everyone from beautiful beaches, to historical downtown, to marina's, fabulous restaurants, boat cruises, fishing excursions, jet ski rentals . . . Just a fun, beautiful, restful vacation spot! :)

Billi 01-06-2015 06:29 AM

You know it's funny I suggested my favorite places to visit and forgot my hometown San Diego is a beautiful place to visit. Since swimming is not necessarily a priority for you our beaches are wonderful this time of year almost always warm enough to walk along and not crowded.

Other things to see Balboa park, San Diego Zoo, Cabrillo national monument, Seaworld just to name a few. head to Ocean Beach and many antique stores on New Port ave. or wander further east to La Mesa and the many antique stores and cute little quilt shop If you tire of the coast an hour away is the small mountain town of Jullian or venture further to the borrego desert.

Do you want to visit quilt shops? From our north county to the east county and into south county there are 12 or more shops most of them worth visiting...you could do it in a day but you would be exhausted I would take 2.

Annaquilts 01-06-2015 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma (Post 7034635)
What kind of beach do you like? Long stretches of uninterrupted white sand? Rocky cliffs with pounding surf? Pebbly beaches with tide pools?

I live near the Pacific and I love the rugged wild beauty of the north coast, but this time of year I like the ocean best as the view from a warm room! NOT the right time of year to go wading, lol.

I used to live in Oregon and I agree. The icy cold wind and the pelting sand is not something I would want to sit in. I did go for brief walks year round and it is gorgeous.