Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Whoever Recommended Carol Doak's Book

Thank you I think I am going to be able to finally teach myself how to paperpiece. It is a fabulous book and easy to follow. I have always wanted to do it but I was apprehensive about starting.

As soon as I wrap up my log cabin I am going to start to play. Ok, who am I kidding I am going the play before I finish :D

Go Girl!!!

LOL, I would have to play before finishing too! Best of luck learning this. I haven't been brave enough to try it yet.

Carol Doak isthe best. Probably I recommended her because I had the pleasure of taking a class with her. She is very personable and we had a good time in class. I am hooked on paper pcing.

Blog Entries
    Carol Doak has a DVD how to paper piece. I had a hard time trying to learn and not seeing it done and watching her show exactly how made it crystal clear.

Blog Entries
    I always want to paper piece just did have the nerve to try it yet.I am intimidated with the thought of trying paper piecing I think I will buy Carol Doak book and see what happens. I might get the confidenceto try. Thank for posting and have a wonderful time.

Blog Entries
    I also have her DVD. Worth every penny!

PP can be fun ---- once you understand it. With Carols books she gives you the sizes your fabric needs to be.

When I took my first class on PP it was not Carols way. The instructor had us approx. the size we needed from our scraps. I unsewed more times because my scrap was just short of fitting grrrr. So, when I did it Carols way it made it so much more enjoyable.

I'm sure you will have lots of fun. I found Carol Doak's instructions very easy too follow and understand. The blocks come out perfect!! I think paper piecing is a brilliant way to begin quilting because it is easy and you can easily what the 1/4" seam should look like. Oh and did I mention that the blocks come out perfect every time (front and back)!

LOL, you will either love it or hate, seems to be no in between with paper piecing. I love it but it is slow going to me, i am doing a star with tons of pieces per block.

Which one of Carol Doaks books did you buy? I just order her DVD, actually found it on EBAY brand new for $5 no shipping and it is coming from the UK. I am anxious to see if it is legit, they are normally 19.99.

I have been afraid to try, which is rediculous since I have been quilting for over 25 years. I don't know what worries me about trying it on my own. I have tried to find a class but nothing in our area, even within an hour and I am in Los Angeles area.

well, I reccommended Carol's 300 block book to someone recently, or I seconded the notion...but the point is: She is fabulous!
    Shaverg, the 'trick' with ppr. piecing is having the fabric piece on the underside of your ppr and sewing on the top side. If you think of it as a sandwhich: fabric piece, right side down, ppr on top of that with lines/markings, facing up, (that's the middle of your sandwhich), then your presser foot of your machine, is your top piece of bread, and you stitch on the lines.
    The big 'trick' that is hard to get, and hard to explain without pictures: is the way you slide this out from under presser foot, keep it just the way it is,...place on cutting mat...and you fold back the paper, where your stitching line is...many use a piece of cardboard to fold back on, to get a straight edge. with this piece of ppr folded back, to your left, and your fabric face down, on the right, of stitching line, you have enough fabric past the stitching line, to use a ruler to rotary cut a 1/4" seam allowance. ta da! (did u 'see' it? :-D )

quiltncrazy, have you ever used the quarter ruler or eighth ruler she recommends instead of a regular rotary ruler for trimming.

I don't know what concerns me so. I am going to use scraps to practice.

Please tell me where I can buy her book and CD Thanks.
    JOY

http://www.caroldoak.com/

I found this site.....there were many more also!

DeeDee

i have used a add-a-quarter ruler and also used a standard ruler. either one works great,,,add a 1/4 ruler is just easier because you dont line anything up. I just use my 1x6 and it works great. my mom just bought me a new carol doaks pp book for christmas and i can't wait to get started. i have some to-do's to do first.

I got my book from Amazon - it was cheaper than her website. I got Simply Sensational 9-Patch Stars it has a cd in the back so you can make the patterns whatever size you want.

Quote Originally Posted by shaverg
    quiltncrazy, have you ever used the quarter ruler or eighth ruler she recommends instead of a regular rotary ruler for trimming.

I bought a six inch one for that.
    Just jump in and practice, your going to love it!
    It took me a bit to figure it out, and one day while reading instructions,...this was before I had the book,...bingo! I got it. :mrgreen:
    You will be thrilled with your blocks after the light bulb flashes and you have that moment of brilliance.:wink:

Quote Originally Posted by butterjoy
    JOY
    I bought mine used from http://amazon.com
    I don't remember what i paid for it, but it was like brand new with the cd. I love, love, love it!:-D

I love her books and how her blocks pop!

My DD just brought two of Carol's books home she borrowed from a friend. Wow, did I learn some things to make it easier for me.
    Have to peruse e-bay to purchase them for myself.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shaverg

I love to paper piece, but I absolutely couldn't do it without the add-a-quarter ruler!

Quote Originally Posted by butterjoy
    JOY
    Joann's sells her books and the DVD as well. I believe the DVD is $19.99 and if you use a coupon you could get it for almost half off. Also, definitely get the add a quarter ruler it will make the process even easier therefore making it more enjoyable.

Okay, Thanks.

JOY

Blog Entries
    Have fun. Carol Doak is a great teacher. Once I learned to paper piece, I really enjoy it.

You can also find the books and dvd on ebay, with no shipping. I will let you know if the brand new dvd I ordered off of ebay from the uk for $5 no shipping is the same. I could not resist, should be here in a day or two.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast