Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spot on My Border! Help!!

I finished this quilt today, after washing I noticed these spots on the sides of my border. I am assuming they are from the washable Elmers glue I used on some of the binding. They won't come off although they seem to somewhat do. Any suggestions? This quilt is for a gift.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Type glue in the search slot above and there are a lot of tips.

Banned
    i would buy some dye na flow and dye the color back in using a small brush or q tip.

if they don't have the exact color match just mix it until you achieve the desired color.

and of course, test on a sample fabric first before doing the original.

Blog Entries
    Oh No!!!!
    I have used Elmers numerous times, and never had that happen... even on kids clothes.... Are you sure that it is the glue? Was it Elmer's brand? Sharon Schamber recommends only using that brand of school glue... Is there an 800 number on the bottle for questions?

Blog Entries
    If it is the glue, place a wet towel on it and let the glue dissolve away and rewash the quilt.

Yes it is Elmers brand of glue. I am assuming thats what it is but I don't know. When I scrape it I notice it wants to loosen some but it does not wipe off.

Blog Entries
    Since it is water soluable, I just may need a good soaking. If you keep a wet towel on it it will disolve, since it is dry it may take a little while.

did you make sure it is WASHABLE school glue

Yes I did. I saw Sharon's video on binding so I made sure it was what she used. I know I used fray check on some of the seams too. Does anyone know if that would stain. I didn't think it was supposed to.

Blog Entries
    I wonder if any of it mixed with the Elmer's....

Blog Entries
    My fray check leaves a shiny super glue looking spots.

Right now I am trying Orange brand hand cleaner. It works well on laundry spots and has a little grit to it. Waiting for it to dry now but it looks like some of the spot has been lifted. Anyway if I can't get it off I will be adding some applique to my border. At least all will not be lost just some extra time for me. I made need suggestions so please stay tuned!! LOL!

Blog Entries
    Keeping our fingers crossed that it all comes out!!! Although...applique is pretty :D:D:D

Applique is a great idea!
    Way to think!

Quote Originally Posted by Ninnie
    Applique is a great idea!
    Way to think!
    One time I accidently snipped a thread too close on a finished quilt, and was left with a nice hole in the quilt. My LQS offered me the solution to a desperate problem. Applique!!! It actually was a nice addition to the quilt and spared my sorrow!! I have never forgotten the little tip.

Blog Entries
    Is it coming out of your fabric?

I'd let it soak overnight before attempting any fix. When you washed it before, did it go through the dryer?

Blog Entries
    I would think gently heating the spots with an iron will loosen them enough to peel off. I've never had Elmer's School Glue do that and most of my quilts are glued before sewn. And I heat set the glue to hold. Odd!

Blog Entries
    I was thinking this morning that I have even had glue drops spill on the surrounding fabric, all I did was swipe at it with my finger and continue... I could never see where it was after washing...even on dark fabrics.

I used fray check ONCE and it took the color out of my fabric,so it immediately went in the garbage. Marge

Had an unexpected birth today of my new grandaughter (3 1/2 wks early) Of course labor starts in the middle of the night!! Just took my quilt out of the dryer after several attempts to lift these spots. It does look like some of it has come out, but there is enough still left on the border. From all of your experiences with washable Elmers glue it doesnt sound like that was the problem. Now I am seriously wondering about the fray check. This quilt was finished about 4 days ago and maybe Ive discovered it too late.

Blog Entries
    Congratulations on the new granddaughter!!! I hope all is well!!! :D:D:D

Is your fray check the same color and consistency as Elmer's?

Yes it is very similar in color and consistency as the Elmers. I will try to post a pic tommorow of what Im left with. ARe you thinking this could be my spots?

Blog Entries
    Yes...I am afraid that is what I am thinking... I am just so sure as the others are that it is not Elmers...
    I blow dried really thick amounts of Elmers in my son's hair, a whole small bottle of it...it took 3 lathers to get it out... I have temporarily used it on clothes lol til I could get it sewn... and never had this problem. My grands play with it and it is all over their clothes while we make Elmer's glue fabric/or newspaper bowls. And sometimes it has been a LOT of glue on their clothes...you know how kids wipe their hands on them :roll:
    This is what makes me think it is probably fray check that you are dealing with. Maybe you accidentally got some on your hand and it smeared on the fabric and you didn't notice it....

Blog Entries
    amma, putting glue in hair is funny. I bet it held a style! I remember when my daughter was about two and smeared a whole jar of Vaseline in her hair. I could't use anything strong enough to cut the grease and she hated hair washings of any kind. She had greasy hair for over a month.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast