Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Looking for vacation places in Florida (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/looking-vacation-places-florida-t272091.html)

pahega 11-10-2015 05:29 AM

Looking for vacation places in Florida

We recently retired and are looking for a place to go in Florida in January for 2-4 weeks. We've never been there and have no idea where to go. We want to go to the gulf side with nice beaches where the temperatures are as warm as possible for that time of year. We've thought about renting a small house or condo for a short term through one of the vacation rental sites like airbnb or vrbo.com. Have any of you used those and what has been your experience? Having never been to Florida, it's kind of overwhelming trying to figure out where and how to do it. We play a little golf, have no interest of being in the water, and don't care for the tourist attractions, but sitting and strolling on the beach is what we're wanting. Any advice or guidance is much appreciated.:)

ManiacQuilter2 11-10-2015 06:01 AM

Good Luck. Sometimes Florida can be very warm like California and other times is can be very cool.

toverly 11-10-2015 06:19 AM

Pensacola Beach and Navarre have beautiful stretches of beaches that can be walked for miles. But January is iffy with the weather. Sometimes it's perfect and sometimes it's the worst of the year.

QuiltnNan 11-10-2015 07:48 AM

Sanibel Island has the best shelling in the world

nena 11-10-2015 07:54 AM

My daughter has a rental in Anna Maria Island the beach is beautiful and not crowed . You can ck it out on "all Conched Out"

celwood 11-11-2015 04:25 AM

I would tell you that Dunedin Florida is a wonderful place to visit. Quaint town that does not allow big stores so all are owned by individuals. Also, it is close to Tampa, St. petersburg and Clearwater if you want to go to bigger towns.

IrishgalfromNJ 11-11-2015 04:42 AM

I also vote for Sanibel Island. It's a very nice spot for shelling and relaxing. Stay away from the Big Bend area (northwest section). It gets cold up there in January and February, lots of nights below freezing.

AlvaStitcher 11-11-2015 05:16 AM

Fort Myers Beach/Sanibel Island. Great beaches and shelling. You will be coming in peak snow bird season so expect high housing expense.

Suz 11-11-2015 06:33 AM

Cape Coral on the Gulf side. Close to Ft. Myers, Sanibel and Captiva. The latter two are quite pricey, I think. Beautiful area though.

On Sanibel, look for Pinoccio's Homemade Ice Cream. A real treat!!!

Jo Anne B. 11-11-2015 10:23 AM

Bonita Springs which is south of Ft. Myers, north of Naples. Smaller town 30-40 minutes to either either city.
Highway #41 is the main road north/south so expect some congested traffic especially in season.
Look into the gated community "Pelican Landing", nice amenities, work out room, private beach(recently overhauled), tennis and golf. Probably less $ than Sanibel, Captiva, Marco Island probably more $ than Ft. Myers area or Tampa area.
You might also look into the area west of Tampa/St. Pete. Pinellas Park my Aunt and Uncle winter there every year and love it!
The further south you go the cost of living increases.
Sarasota is another very nice place, I very much enjoyed the half price used book store.
I so miss Florida!!! Despite the No-See-Umms eating me alive.