Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Lost Arts (and Crafts) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/lost-arts-crafts-t55785.html)

C.Cal Quilt Girl 07-22-2010 10:16 PM

Don't recall the name of it, but ladies use to paint with stencils, on pillow cases, towels etc. This was in the 70's wonder what will happen to the art of cake decorating with fondant being so popular. Hmmm

raptureready 07-22-2010 11:50 PM

The lost art that I find most disturbing (and who'd have thought of it as an art?) is the one of keeping one's pants ABOVE their underwear.

Seriously, there are so many things. I just got back from a quilting retreat at Threads of Time in Danville, Il. and there were two sisters there that brought their aged mother. I think she was in her nineties. She couldn't hear well and couldn't see well but they tried to keep her occupied with things that she could do. One of the things that she was doing was stringing Rose Beads. They were beads that she'd hand made from real rose petals and they still had a scent. Very cool. Most of us wanted the recipe so that we could try to make the Rose Beads ourselves. They made beautiful necklaces.

Kas 07-22-2010 11:58 PM

I used to love the smell of the memeograph my mom used for the church bulletin.

Lacelady 07-23-2010 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
The lost art that I find most disturbing (and who'd have thought of it as an art?) is the one of keeping one's pants ABOVE their underwear.

Seriously, there are so many things. I just got back from a quilting retreat at Threads of Time in Danville, Il. and there were two sisters there that brought their aged mother. I think she was in her nineties. She couldn't hear well and couldn't see well but they tried to keep her occupied with things that she could do. One of the things that she was doing was stringing Rose Beads. They were beads that she'd hand made from real rose petals and they still had a scent. Very cool. Most of us wanted the recipe so that we could try to make the Rose Beads ourselves. They made beautiful necklaces.

That sounds lovely. If you got the recipe, please post it.

raptureready 07-23-2010 12:25 AM

I'm supposed to be getting the recipe in a week or two. I'll have to ask the lady that sends it if it would be okay to post it here. If she says it's okay then I will although it's probably already online somewhere. There's also a story with it about using the beads in the Rosary. I'm not sure what the story is but I'm hoping to get that too. Not that I'm Catholic, I just find bits of history about things interesting.

Aussie Quilter 07-23-2010 12:26 AM

Bet I can! Bought some not long ago.

Aussie Quilter 07-23-2010 12:31 AM

I still darn (wool) socks. Something I've always enjoyed doing. In fact my MIL who used to hate darning socks, used to give me FIL's wool work socks to darn. Couldn't understand how I could like darning.

.[/quote]

...the lost art of mending (especially sock darning) and the complete inability of people when it comes to polishing shoes![/quote]

quiltergirl80 07-23-2010 01:23 AM

I love to embroider, but would totally enjoy learning to tat. Unfortunately, there are not many teachers out there anymore. Using overhead projectors in school is fading also, used to love cleaning the chalkboard and the projector films after school. Guess I was the teacher's pet - only because they didn't have to get dirty cleaning them!

redkimba 07-23-2010 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Aussie Quilter
I still darn (wool) socks. Something I've always enjoyed doing. In fact my MIL who used to hate darning socks, used to give me FIL's wool work socks to darn. Couldn't understand how I could like darning.

...the lost art of mending (especially sock darning) and the complete inability of people when it comes to polishing shoes![/quote][/quote]

where do you find a darning egg?

when I learn to knit socks, I will need one of those for mending.

Aussie Quilter 07-23-2010 04:08 AM

I've had my 'mushroom' for about 46 years. Have a look in the haberdashery department at one of your stores. 'Spotlight' here in Australia had them not so long ago when I was in there.

.[/quote]

...the lost art of mending (especially sock darning) and the complete inability of people when it comes to polishing shoes![/quote][/quote]

where do you find a darning egg?

when I learn to knit socks, I will need one of those for mending.[/quote]