Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Lost Arts (and Crafts) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/lost-arts-crafts-t55785.html)

b.zang 07-22-2010 06:48 PM

Reading the post about playdoh started me thinking about all the things we used to do and make, like playdoh for the kids.
But what really has me reminiscing is the old mimeograph copies. Somewhere I still have a recipe to make a pan of jelly stuff that will hold ink long enough to press multiple sheets against it so you can have copies of whatever. Now, with computers/printers and photocopiers, putting the time and effort into that would be ridiculous.

What other arts have been lost to technology?

isnthatodd 07-22-2010 06:49 PM

Calligraphy comes to mind.

BellaBoo 07-22-2010 06:53 PM

I think hand embroidery is fast becoming a lost art. An inexpensive machine can do embroidery. No more blackboards in schools, it's all dry erase boards now. No more cleaning the chalk erasers outside! I use to think that was so much fun.

sewgull 07-22-2010 06:57 PM

Just plain paper and pencil for school.

Leota 07-22-2010 07:02 PM

Penmanship education.
I did my Master's Thesis on the connection between brain development, literacy, and penmanship education.

NikkiLu 07-22-2010 07:04 PM

Typing paper - bet you can't find it anymore.

Also, we used to buy really thin tissue paper to write on - for airmail letters - they cost more than regular letters.

earthwalker 07-22-2010 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by NikkiLu
Typing paper - bet you can't find it anymore.

Also, we used to buy really thin tissue paper to write on - for airmail letters - they cost more than regular letters.

Can't find carbon paper anywhere either. There is also the lost art of shoelace tying, knot tying and even tie tying. What about the lost art of writing thank you notes/cards....the lost art of mending (especially sock darning) and the complete inability of people when it comes to polishing shoes!

sueisallaboutquilts 07-22-2010 07:14 PM

The art of letter writing. And I'm guilty of it. Used to love to write letters to loved ones. Maybe I'll do it again!! :D

ctack2 07-22-2010 09:42 PM

Counting change out? If the register doesn't tell them how much to give you in change, they're lost!
I love the look on someones face when I let them ring up my money, then throw them a few pennies. Sometimes I'll say "here's 3 pennies, just give me a quarter back". lol

Candace 07-22-2010 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by isnthatodd
Calligraphy comes to mind.

I took a calligraphy class in high school and kept at it... I used it to send out the invitations to my wedding. Everyone remarked upon it. Sad, but I do think with the technology we've got, this is truly a soon to be lost art. Why spend all the time and effort when a computer "font" is so easy and perfect?