Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Mac Users, help me out here, I need a new computer (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/mac-users-help-me-out-here-i-need-new-computer-t266008.html)

Jeanne S 06-05-2015 10:32 AM

Regarding transferring your files from the PC to the Mac---they will do that for you when you buy the Mac. I couldn't bear to give up Microsoft Office (Word, Excel etc) so i bought Microsoft Office for Mac and had them install it at the same time. Then all my files, Word docs, Excel Spreadsheets, photos, etc transferred over perfectly. And I have about 75,000 photos!!

Bibliogirl 06-05-2015 10:48 AM

I have had a Mac desktop for almost 10 years an would never go back to a PC (which I use for 20 years personally and at work). I also have a iPad and an MacBook Pro laptop. I rarely have a problem with any of these things, when I do I go to the Apple store's "genius bar" where they help me out. My DH has always used a PC and has problems with it all the time. He is now on his 3rd PC since I got my Mac desktop ten years ago. If you use one Mac product, you won't have trouble learning a different Mac product.

Wanabee Quiltin 06-06-2015 05:14 AM

Reading all your remarks has me pumped, I am ready to go right now, but alas, I have major weeding to do. Thanks everyone for all your remarks. I am so tired of my Dell !

Fastpedal 06-06-2015 06:20 AM

For many years I used Windows and other software at work as well as a PC at home. When I needed a new computer about 10 years ago I converted to an iMac. I love the large screen for doing digital scrapbooking. Since have added an iPhone and an iPad mini. Tried a track phone because it would be cheaper but after a couple of weeks decided there was no comparison to an iPhone. Went back to the iPhone. My DH receive a dell pad as a freebee and has not used it. Windows is the pits. Will stick to MAC products.

rjwilder 06-06-2015 07:19 AM

I went from a Dell to a Mac Book Pro, 13 " laptop and I'll never go back to a Windows computer. I also got an iPhone, iPad air 2 and so did my husband but he still has the windows laptop. There is a MicrosoftOffice Suite for Mac if you really need that platform. The spreadsheet in Mac's Numbers doesn't work well with an Excel spreadsheet if someone send one to you. The Microsoft word does play nice with Mac's Pages. I did have a few burps in the learning curve but I was persistent and kept going to the free classes at Apple Store. I did get the 3 year service plan and free help thrown in and it has been nice to call Apple Support and get help. I bought my Mac last year and the salesperson asked me if I was going to be a student, or if I was buying it for a student. He said if I said yes then the 3 year service plan was thrown in as a bonus. So answer yes, I said it was for my granddaughter.

mtkoldra 06-06-2015 07:31 AM

when I retired I gave myself a gift of Mac Book Pro, best computer ever. Maybe more expensive but so worth every penny.
I highly recommend it.

Girlfriend 06-08-2015 06:23 PM

Be sure to take the free classes that Apple offers. It will really help getting off on the right foot. It will also allow you to see how the Apple products "think", as you will be able to apply a lot of the new knowledge to other Apple products, if you wish to indulge....

quiltjoey 06-08-2015 06:52 PM

Have a PC (Windows 7 ultimate) but only use it for my embroidery program and a PC laptop to take to class. Wouldn't have them if I didn't need them for that program.
Use my MacBook for ordering stuff or the iPad for surfing and I have an iPhone. I'm a die-hard Apple user from way back.