Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   This made me smile (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/made-me-smile-t139788.html)

Gramma B 07-24-2011 08:49 AM

Just hung out some of our laundry yesterday. The one thung that is not mentioned, is that they smell so good when they are hung out.

Rann 07-24-2011 09:10 AM

I was the eldest so had to do the washing and hanging out. Our clothesline always had a wasp sitting on every clothespin. Boy did I hate trying to hang clothes and avoid wasps. We finally got rid of them.

pollym44 07-24-2011 09:23 AM

Thanks for the smiles. Did you know my mom? :lol:

Olivia 07-24-2011 09:35 AM

Brings back memories. Boy did I ever hate having to hang my brother's underwear! Hoped and prayed no one would see me.

grann of 6 07-24-2011 09:48 AM

Too funny!!1 I do remember all those rules and followed them faithfully, until my DH retired and took over the laundry duties while I worked. I now have drying racks I put on my deck and hang my laundry on them. I bought a nice tall one especially for my sheets; they fit perfectly folded in half. The only diff with the old days is that I don't iron anything; if you hang it properly it won't need ironing.

charlotte37830 07-24-2011 10:41 AM

I remember my mom and grandma using many of these "rules". They used a wringer-type washer and hung everything out on the line to dry, then ironing everything the next day. They used the clothes line all year round. I remeber my dad's pants could stand on their own in the winter time until they thawed out. They had a stick to hold up the center part of the line also.

Katts 14 07-24-2011 10:48 AM

Oh! and they smelled so good.

sandwich child 07-24-2011 11:18 AM

Did we by chance have the same mother? What I would give now for a clothesline!!

grandma sue 07-24-2011 11:23 AM

I remember helping my mother hang out the clothes. She also remembers the time when I was about 5 or 6 and she went out to get the clothes off the line. It was freezing cold and I thought it would be funny to lock the door. Don't know how long she stayed out there before I let her in. Got in alot of trouble for that one! Remember the jeans stretchers you put jeans on to dry them on the line? I love sheets and towel hung on the line - I love the scratchiness of the towels - I know - I'm weird. Those were the good old days. Can't have clotheslines where I live. Pretty stupid idea.

valsma 07-24-2011 11:28 AM

A few years back I tried to buy a clothes line in the store. You know the square kind on a pole that open like and umbrella. Nobody seemed to have a clue what I was talking about of the younger associates. An older associate heard my request and said "oh you mean a SOLAR Clothes Dryer." Apparently that is what they call them now. I about died laughing. LOL