Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   made my first Bow Tuck purse.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/made-my-first-bow-tuck-purse-t152303.html)

dsch 09-13-2011 10:12 AM

I only use the fusible on one side of the bag, not both as directed. I have also used warm & natural with a thin muslin if i am quilting it. Have also used a firmer stabilizer. I have not been really happy with any of the choices & when I find the lining that has the right feel to it, I'll let you know. Meanwhile, I'll stick to the fusible on only one side.

jbj137 09-13-2011 10:25 AM

Bought the pattern
months ago and
immediately lost it.

Will make one when I find it.
J J

Deara 09-13-2011 10:32 AM

My first purse I followed the instructions to the letter including using whatever was called for.

Now I use regular fleece, remnants if I can find them. I attach the front & back and the linings using a zig zag stitch around the outer edges (here a serger would work perfectly). Then I quilt it. My way makes more work, but I find it doesn't take me as long anymore. Cutting out all the fabric, fleece and interfacing is what takes time. I also use craft iron-on interfacing for the handles. Using fleece makes them too stiff.

I also use two different machines to make my purses, a Singer 500A 'Rocketeer' for the zig zag stitches and then my Singer 301 which sews through all the layers like a hot knife cutting through butter. Having a great machine makes a big difference also. Love my Singers...............

Blessings,
Sandi

DRB 09-13-2011 12:20 PM

I have made around 25 of these bags and always use a walking foot for sewing through the thick parts. I like to use the fusible fleece on both the outside fabric and the lining with some quilting on both.

Janice Thompson 09-13-2011 12:42 PM

HAVEN'T MADE ONE YET. ON MY "TODO" LIST

pakwoman 09-13-2011 01:56 PM

I have made several bow tucks purses. My first couple of ones I made them with the fleece on both the outer and lining of the purse. I just recently made one for a friend of mine and I did not put the fleece on the lining part. It really made a big difference. It was so much easier to topstitch around the top of the purse. Also, I did not use the full amount of fleece in the handle. I only used 1/2 the amount and it made it easier to stitch. I use plastic canvas for the bottom of the bag, that way, it can be thrown in the washing machine.

moedersaar 09-13-2011 04:04 PM

Help me please.
Can somebody tell me were I can purchase a bow tuck pattern I have been to my local shops and walmart but they have no idea what I am talking about, I would like to make some for christmas presents, or maybe I can buy one from one of you ladies. thank you so much in advance sally

dellareya 09-13-2011 05:26 PM

I have made over 10 bow tuck bags. I have used Pellon fusible 987 on all them. I don't find it to be thick. I think this bag needs this pellon to give it body. I didn't have a problem sewing it all together. Sounds like a matter of personal choice.

phylby 09-13-2011 05:29 PM

Canvas also works.

katesnanna 09-13-2011 05:53 PM

I've made about a dozen now and have experimented a little along the way. I use pellon on one and a heavy duty fusible interfacing on the other. Depends on the look I want after quilting to which side I apply what.
The number on the pellon here is 640 which seems to be the thickest. I used it in both the inside & outside for my first couple of bags but didn't find it too thick to sew through. I recently used Matilda's 100% cotton batting in one as it was ordered in specific colors and I thought it needed a little heavier lining.
My original reason for experimenting was due to cost. Pellon $15.95 per meter.