Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Magpies: not wanted! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/magpies-not-wanted-t191253.html)

Momo 06-10-2012 01:40 PM

I saw on the video "Back to Eden" that crows were a nuisance and they found a dead one and hung it up on a pole. That kept the crows from coming back. Don't know if it would work on Magpie or not, worth a try.
The video can be viewed online, but it's very long. It's about gardening the Eden way.

SewExtremeSeams 06-10-2012 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Momo (Post 5279421)
I saw on the video "Back to Eden" that crows were a nuisance and they found a dead one and hung it up on a pole. That kept the crows from coming back. Don't know if it would work on Magpie or not, worth a try.
The video can be viewed online, but it's very long. It's about gardening the Eden way.

Hmmm... might be worth a try... :D

MaryAnnMc 06-10-2012 02:20 PM

Oh, dear... I wish you luck. I've only seen magpies in Ireland, where you have to salute them for good luck. At least that's what our tour guide told us, he may have been pulling our legs. ;o) But I feel for you. I gave up trying to grow anything edible here in Florida. If it's not the deer, it's the raccoons. If not raccoons, it's possums. Or rabbits, skunks, squirrels or woodpeckers. And then there are the insects...

chris_quilts 06-10-2012 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Momo (Post 5279421)

If one of them dies, in whatever way, put it where all will see it and they will leave. This is supposed to work and my aunt uses it for her garden with some success (as in most leave) but she is also contending with other critters. If you decide to dipatch the, make sure it is within the guidelines publishedby the local wildlife folks.

crowley7 06-11-2012 07:00 AM

You can buy the silver stuff at a "Party Store". We had woodpeckers that were going at it on our house.Since we put up the silver strips; they don't come around anymore. I believe it is called Mylar and it is very inexpensive. Good Luck

SewExtremeSeams 06-11-2012 08:19 AM

OK, so where did the magpies go? They seem to be gone.

No, we did not shoot them:D :D DH moved the fake owl from the barn onto a fence near most of our fruit trees AND hung CDs from the trees and we have haven't seen them around for a few days now. :D

To our delight, the quail, doves and yellow and purple finch are still around enjoying farm life. So far, very good! Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Now, if we can keep the racoons from eating our grape harvest in the fall we will be happy campers. :)

Debra Mc 06-11-2012 07:05 PM

Never seen them in East Texas. The Yackles moved up here from the coast & they are noisy. Mainly in Walmart parking lot. We have crows to beat the band. Told my son he could have a ball shooting them in the early morning.

quiltingcandy 06-11-2012 07:20 PM

I do think they migrate, because we wold get them in the spring when they were nesting. Which is a royal pain since they sing at night, but then when the babies are able to fly they are go somewhere else. We had to remove our pepper tree so we never see them now.

SewExtremeSeams 06-11-2012 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Debra Mc (Post 5282731)
Never seen them in East Texas. The Yackles moved up here from the coast & they are noisy. Mainly in Walmart parking lot. We have crows to beat the band. Told my son he could have a ball shooting them in the early morning.

Ya know, we noticed today that the crows are also gone, along with the magpies. Can't say we miss them much!:D

Love your avatar. Are those your flowers? Beautiful.