Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Magpies: not wanted!

Blog Entries

Magpies: not wanted!

We have four young magpies born to our farm who are become pests with a capital P! How do you scare them off safely? We have wonderful yellow finch, purple finch, doves, quail, etc. that we enjoy and feed. We don't want them to go away but if we don't scare off these magpies we won't have any of our deck lined wave petunias blooming and they are beginning to eat off our cherries. Help?

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

No advice, but agreeing with you - they're a PITA!!! Where we camp every year, we have to be very watchful when putting food on the picnic table. They've been known to fly down and snatch food WHILE we're eating!!!!!!!!
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

Do you have a air rifle?

Blog Entries
    Not sure. I will have to ask DH if he has an air rifle. DH just hung up old CDs and it's windy here, so maybe that will work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat M. View Post
    Do you have a air rifle?

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.

What are magpies?

I never thought of old CDs!!! I hang the little tart trays in my peach trees to keep the birds out of them! The CDs are about the same size and a LOT sturdier!!

Magpies are like ravens only black and white. I doubt they'd be afraid of the CD's unless you sat in the yard and threw them at them.

Do you think one of the fake owls would scare them? They have them at Lowe's..

Blog Entries
    What about those strips of aluminum looking stuff that blows in the wind? Just an idea...no clue where to buy it. What about calling Audubon in your area? We had two dead owls and we called to find out what to do and what would have caused it. They were very helpful. Good luck. Also, the local gardening/tractor supply places are sometimes helpful.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

One for Sorrow
    Two for Joy
    Three for a Girl
    Four for a Boy

We don't have Magpie's here in Illinois, but I spotted ONE when in England and my husband yelled "look away", then he told me the rhyme. Every subsequent viewing of the species for me has been a solitary critter ... which apparently is rare as they usually travel in pairs.

Anyway ... husband said if they are eating your fruits you can spray the fruit with Capsicum and they'll stop. As for getting them to leave the area in general ... good luck. They fear very little apparently.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

There are loads of magpies where I live, and I've yet been able to get a halfway decent picture of one. I can stand in the kitchen doorway and watch one, but as soon as I lift a camera they fly away. Apparently they don't like flashy things(light reflecting from the lens)so maybe the CDs will work.
    Smile - it confuses people

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barri1 View Post
    What are magpies?
    They are a beautiful bird. However, they are persistent, thieves and SMART!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Linda

Power Poster
    If you want any fruit off your trees, the best solution is fruit tree nets. Not practical if you have an orchard but if it's just one tree, then it's the best solution.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois-nounoe View Post
    I never thought of old CDs!!! I hang the little tart trays in my peach trees to keep the birds out of them! The CDs are about the same size and a LOT sturdier!!
    It's very blustery, windy here today. This morning i can see that the CDs DH hung yesterday have been relocated into the trees. But, with the wind they are twisting and turning and reflecting lights in all directions. I have seen the magpies fly by but not land on the cherry tree right out my window.

Your mention of the little tart trays reminded me of the aluminum pie plates I have in the cupboard. Maybe we will add some of those to our fruit trees. The CDs seem to reflecting a lot of light though.

Linda

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
    Do you think one of the fake owls would scare them? They have them at Lowe's..
    We have one fake owl and it was seeming to scare off the birds from our grapes but DH put it in the barn to keep them off the boat canvas. The barn keeps the boat out of the weather but not free of bird dung!

Linda

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    If you want any fruit off your trees, the best solution is fruit tree nets. Not practical if you have an orchard but if it's just one tree, then it's the best solution.
    Yes, I think nets would be a good idea. We don't have an orchard but we do have a lot of fruit trees. We are going to look into that.

We had racoons who feasted on our grapes last yearand wind that knocked off all of our asian pears. It is hard to get our fruit to 'our' table.

Linda

Blog Entries
    NO. We have one of those to scare away grackles and other birds. Doesn't work.

Washington State summer, Sun City AZ winter
    Quote Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
    They are a beautiful bird. However, they are persistent, thieves and SMART!
    Thanks for the pic. I've seen them driving over to Spokane and wondered what they were. They are pretty. I don't recall seeing any of them on this side of the moutains. I have a small orchard but gave up trying to get fruit with all the bugs, birds, racoons, squirrels, deer, you name it!, getting there first. Now I just enjoy the blooms in the spring.
    She who dies with the most fabric didn't sew fast enough!

never seen one but they are pretty. to bad they are such smarty pants

Power Poster
    From the pictures, they look like pretty birds.

Blog Entries
    I saw on the video "Back to Eden" that crows were a nuisance and they found a dead one and hung it up on a pole. That kept the crows from coming back. Don't know if it would work on Magpie or not, worth a try.
    The video can be viewed online, but it's very long. It's about gardening the Eden way.
    Abiding in the Vine

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Momo View Post
    I saw on the video "Back to Eden" that crows were a nuisance and they found a dead one and hung it up on a pole. That kept the crows from coming back. Don't know if it would work on Magpie or not, worth a try.
    The video can be viewed online, but it's very long. It's about gardening the Eden way.
    Hmmm... might be worth a try...

Linda

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    Oh, dear... I wish you luck. I've only seen magpies in Ireland, where you have to salute them for good luck. At least that's what our tour guide told us, he may have been pulling our legs. ;o) But I feel for you. I gave up trying to grow anything edible here in Florida. If it's not the deer, it's the raccoons. If not raccoons, it's possums. Or rabbits, skunks, squirrels or woodpeckers. And then there are the insects...
    aka Chicken McLittle

If it's true we learn from our mistakes, I'm going to be a genius!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Momo View Post
    If one of them dies, in whatever way, put it where all will see it and they will leave. This is supposed to work and my aunt uses it for her garden with some success (as in most leave) but she is also contending with other critters. If you decide to dipatch the, make sure it is within the guidelines publishedby the local wildlife folks.
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

You can buy the silver stuff at a "Party Store". We had woodpeckers that were going at it on our house.Since we put up the silver strips; they don't come around anymore. I believe it is called Mylar and it is very inexpensive. Good Luck

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast