Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Major help please - fleece blankets (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/major-help-please-fleece-blankets-t287881.html)

bearisgray 05-04-2017 10:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
For next time -

I would wash the two pieces before putting them together. I found that the pieces did not shrink at the same rate.

My lady friend suggested this way - instead of the fringes, which she hated - and my granddaughter LOVES this way.

Cut one piece about ten inches longer each direction - then center the smaller piece (wrong sides together) on the larger piece.

Fold the longer side until it just touches - or overlaps about 1/4 inch - the shorter edge - stitch down. Repeat on all four sides. The corners can be mitered - but if one does not have that skill set - just fold neatly.

It ends up being a nice, smooth, double layer blanket. A large surface to lay it out on is helpful. We used the floor.

Idle Di 05-05-2017 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mgrubbs (Post 7817229)
I make fleece blankets for charity, churches, friends, and hospital people and friends who need them. I place wrong sides together, pin to hold and then sew 4 inches around from edge, cut out 4 inch squares on corners, cut 1/2 inch wide stripes all around the edge. No quilting. The sewing row is done by a walking zigzag stitch and second stitching inside first is one half inch apart from first stitching. Used to do the tying stripes but is too bulky and people like the flatness better! One note--- stitch the two rows before cutting the stripes and corners. Also I cut off the selvages, save them (after cutting off the fuss) and braid, joining to make pot holders or mats for hot dishes. Can cut the selvages about one inch wide. I have made many of them and give away! Marilyn
Grubbs

Gee what a wonderful idea, I had never thought of that. And of course polar fleece doesn't fray. Thank you ever so much, I am now dying to try one of them.

Idle Di

Idle Di 05-05-2017 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin (Post 7817241)
I have seen bar tacks throughout.

Oh can I ask what is bar tacks, I have never heard of that.

Idle Di

Painiacs 05-05-2017 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mgrubbs (Post 7817229)
I make fleece blankets for charity, churches, friends, and hospital people and friends who need them. I place wrong sides together, pin to hold and then sew 4 inches around from edge, cut out 4 inch squares on corners, cut 1/2 inch wide stripes all around the edge. No quilting. The sewing row is done by a walking zigzag stitch and second stitching inside first is one half inch apart from first stitching. Used to do the tying stripes but is too bulky and people like the flatness better! One note--- stitch the two rows before cutting the stripes and corners. Also I cut off the selvages, save them (after cutting off the fuss) and braid, joining to make pot holders or mats for hot dishes. Can cut the selvages about one inch wide. I have made many of them and give away! Marilyn Grubbs

I'm confused, do you tie the strips around ? You said ppl like the flatness, so what do you do with the 1/2 inch stripes? Love to see a pot holder or mat all finished!! :)

Painiacs 05-05-2017 10:11 PM

Love the idea bearisgrey thank you!!