Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Major help please - fleece blankets (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/major-help-please-fleece-blankets-t287881.html)

Idle Di 04-29-2017 09:38 PM

Major help please - fleece blankets

Hi, I do hope someone can help me. I have two large pieces of polar fleece, which I have joined together like a blanket so it is double thickness. I have sewn it completely together but I want to know do I need to sew in the middle to hold it together. I have NOT put batting in it.

Idle Di

quiltingcandy 04-29-2017 10:38 PM

A friend of my DD made her one of those fleece blankets where the sides are cut every so many inches, then the two are tied. She uses it quite often, and it remains tied and there is no quilting, just the two side tied together along the edges.

Idle Di 04-29-2017 10:55 PM

Thank you so much. I thought as it was really large, I decided to stitch a few lines through it. It seems to be ok.

Idle Di

junegerbracht 05-01-2017 05:18 AM

I made a large two piece fleece blanket for my grandson several years ago - just sewn together no quilting. It has been washed many many times. It is his favorite even though I have offered him several other real quilts.

sewnclog 05-01-2017 06:48 AM

I made several and every so many inches (well maybe 12-15 inches) I just put a decorative stitch or bar tack it to hold it together so it didn't balloon out. I did fringe it all the way around too.

JanieH 05-01-2017 09:27 AM

My great nephew made a huge fleece blanket with 2 layers and tied around the edges for his father one Christmas. It is large enough for the whole family (4) and their dogs (4 small) and cats (2) to snuggle under and on. Needless to say, it gets washed a lot but it has never separated or come untied. Amazing!

Chasing Hawk 05-01-2017 05:21 PM

I made one and practiced my free motion quilting on it. Now it is my "binkie" when I sit in the recliner.

Idle Di 05-01-2017 07:52 PM

Oh thank you ever so much everyone. I now cant wait to do another and tie the edges.

Idle Di

Mgrubbs 05-04-2017 08:05 AM

I make fleece blankets for charity, churches, friends, and hospital people and friends who need them. I place wrong sides together, pin to hold and then sew 4 inches around from edge, cut out 4 inch squares on corners, cut 1/2 inch wide stripes all around the edge. No quilting. The sewing row is done by a walking zigzag stitch and second stitching inside first is one half inch apart from first stitching. Used to do the tying stripes but is too bulky and people like the flatness better! One note--- stitch the two rows before cutting the stripes and corners. Also I cut off the selvages, save them (after cutting off the fuss) and braid, joining to make pot holders or mats for hot dishes. Can cut the selvages about one inch wide. I have made many of them and give away! Marilyn Grubbs

tessagin 05-04-2017 08:16 AM

I have seen bar tacks throughout.