Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Making jelly (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/making-jelly-t231426.html)

Ccorazone 10-01-2013 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Teddybear Lady (Post 6323187)
Does the fruit have stickers on it like the leaves of the plant? If so, how do you keep from getting stuck? Just wondering. I have some of this growing in my backyard.

the tops have tiny stickers and need to be removed with thongs. then wear gloves ans scrub with a sponge with a scrubber in the back side, You can get the instructions and the recipe for the jelly off the internet.
Good luck if you make some. I had to re-make one batch because it didn't set.

Monroe 10-01-2013 02:21 PM

Ummm- I think you mean "tongs"??? The jelly sounds interesting. I canned some crockpot apple butter a few weeks ago- much easier by far!

RedGarnet222 10-01-2013 02:29 PM

I watched a pbs special on this last year. It was a tribal ritual to gather them and make jam from them. A very interesting program.
All that being said, I have seen the jelly in health food stores for sale. Not cheap for sure! But, after reading what all you have to go through to get the juice, it is well worth the price.

ziegamomma 10-02-2013 05:48 AM

When I was a girl, we played with and ate the prickly pears, but rolled them in mud first to get rid of the little spines. I bet the jelly is delicious!

Alondra 10-02-2013 08:39 AM

Prickly pear jelly - my all-time favorite! Yum!

Barbie 10-02-2013 08:49 AM

This is a very timely post. My son mentioned prickly pear jelly recently and asked me if I had ever made any. He and the grandson picked some and tasted the fruit and said it was tart but they both liked it. We have an abundance of cactus plants here in Texas. I just might talk my son into harvesting some and I will try it. Thanks for jogging my memory.

Caswews 10-02-2013 09:28 AM

Sounds interesting may have to make some next year .....(have too much on the plate for this year !LOL)

Nelco 10-03-2013 08:42 AM

My Grate grandmother had prickly pear in her yard and would make jelly every yr. SOOOOOO Good

Texasjunebug 10-03-2013 06:21 PM

Timely post, for sure! I picked about 4 pounds today for my first attempt to make jelly. There's plenty more around our place, if I learn how to make it. Have everything ready in the kitchen to start in the morning. Scary - please wish me luck!

Teddybear Lady 10-04-2013 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Ccorazone (Post 6324916)
the tops have tiny stickers and need to be removed with thongs. then wear gloves ans scrub with a sponge with a scrubber in the back side, You can get the instructions and the recipe for the jelly off the internet.
Good luck if you make some. I had to re-make one batch because it didn't set.

Thank you for answering my question. About the "thongs". Do I wear them when I pick the prickly pear fruit? haha Just kidding. I knew what you meant.