Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Making Luggage Standout (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/making-luggage-standout-t192171.html)

cathyvv 06-19-2012 06:46 AM

in 2004 DH and I traveled. Our TSA approved locks disappeared after the bags were checked in! Such is life.

AFQSinc 06-19-2012 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane (Post 5300361)
As for taking needlework to work on while in flight, can you take scissors now??

It really depends on the airline. I have taken blunt tip scissors on some international flights and domestic flights and then not been able to on others. I usually always carry either a dental floss container to cut thread, a round Clover thread cutter or the Clover yarn cutter with no problems. I leave it in my notions case in my carry on with no problems.

Originally Posted by cathyvv (Post 5300466)
in 2004 DH and I traveled. Our TSA approved locks disappeared after the bags were checked in! Such is life.

Thankfully, I have not had that happen yet. I would be very upset about that!

bluteddi 06-19-2012 07:17 AM

we use bright colored painters tape.. yep the stuff that is kinda like masking tape only it comes in colors.. I know it is supposed to be easily removed and when i am ready to remove it it does come right off with out leaving any residue. But I normally leave it on there until it is ratty looking.. which is MANY trips.. We usually mark a BIG X on front and back of suit case.... and then run a strip around the outside edges... we never have a problem spotting out luggage. We get many grin and " good idea remarks" about it too.
I also have an older suitcase that is burgandy but appears black... I used craft paint and stencils to paint flowers and leaves and such on it... it too is easily spotted... but I think the tape is the easist!

Barb in Louisiana 06-19-2012 07:25 AM

I love all the suggestions. I hope I get to use them one day. Another simplistic identifier I thought about. Take the brightly colored tape & put your initials on all sides. Don't put your name!!!! Or maybe a favorite sports team or hobby?

In the past, we used the ribbon on the handle, but if the handle is turned away from you, you have to straighten the luggage sometimes to see it. That can be annoying & taxing on the back. I vote for something that is removable on all sides. Have fun...I am very envious.

QuiltnNan 06-19-2012 07:28 AM

many years ago, my dear aunt simply tied a red plaid ribbon to the handle. she no longer travels and i asked her for that ribbon - it's been on my luggage for a few years now. have a great time in Australia... what a wonderful opportunity.

mary quilting 06-19-2012 09:31 AM

We had TSA approved locks they(TSA) ripedthe zipper off we had to buy new luggage,

Originally Posted by Alu_Rathbone (Post 5299846)
I'm getting TSA approved locks, which means I can lock them, but TSA is allowed to open them. I don't know how that works, but it's what I'm doing.

I'm flying from Chicago to Los Angeles, and then Los Angeles to Brisbane. Brisbane to Cairns and then Cairns to Brisbane. My flight from LA takes off at 11:35 pm. I plan to sleep on the flight, but I'm not going to sleep 14 hours.

QuiltE 06-19-2012 09:48 AM

With all the suggestions of stencilling and decorating the suitcases ........ I can't believe that no one suggested quilt blocks!!!!!!!!!

I bought black the last time ... and have regretted it ever since! First trip out, I discovered right away that everyone has black, and they all look, almost alike!! And too that it looks absolutely filthy all the time!

And to think I'd bought a nice olive green and returned it thinking I should have the classic look of the black ... and seldom, have I seen its mates! :(

quiltsRfun 06-19-2012 09:57 AM

I have a couple of suitcases that are jungle prints. They're pretty easy to recognize. I think I got them at Big Lots a few years back.

barny 06-19-2012 10:03 AM

I crocheted a bright orange mess of chain and wadded it up like a flower. Worked perfectly. That colored duck-tape sounds really good on the handle..and lots of it.

Alu_Rathbone 06-19-2012 10:06 AM

I was thinking of getting a few bright patches and ironing them on, but I'm not sure. I like the stenciling idea and the quilt blocks too. Thank you!