Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Making Quilt Labels (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/making-quilt-labels-t266051.html)

Bibliogirl 06-05-2015 10:55 AM

Making Quilt Labels

I have read several ways to make your own quilt labels. Do any of you have a favorite way?

IQ2 06-05-2015 12:12 PM

If you have a laser jet printer at home, you can create your label in a word document. Type and lay it out however you like. Cut a piece of freezer paper to 8.5 x 11" size. Iron the fabric you want your label to print on onto the shiny side of the freezer paper. Remove the other paper from your printer and just put the freezer paper/fabric piece in the paper tray. Print out the label, remove the paper backing from the fabric, press with a dry iron to set the ink. You can just hem the label and attach to your quilt, or you can add decorative stitching, borders, etc. as you like.

Tip: write a word on a blank paper, put it into the printer and print the label text on that first to make sure you know which way to load your fabric for printing. You don't want it to print on the back of the fabric.

Also, I usually type the label in a few places on the document with plenty of room in between to separate them. That way if I mess up, or if one smudges I don't have to go through the entire process again.

Bibliogirl 06-05-2015 02:49 PM

Thank you for your instructions, IQ2! They are pretty strait forward and easy.

quilterchibb 06-05-2015 06:47 PM

I thought it was a ink jet printer.

Betty J 06-06-2015 04:11 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I make my quilt labels on the embroidery machine. While I know not everyone is fortunate to have an embroidery machine, it is a great way to make a label. You can do all of the label on the computer in embroidery software then send it to your machine via a USB. I usually a add an embroidery design as well as the wording to the label. I am posting a few pictures of labels that I have made.

Snooze2978 06-06-2015 05:56 AM

I have a basic shaped label........triangle so I only have to hand sew one edge. I use Embird to make my labels adding the recipent's name, month and year they will receive the quilt and made by myself (name). Sometimes I'll add a little extra saying to the label depending on the person. My Embroidery Haven has some free shapes to outline the label.

TinkerQuilts 06-06-2015 06:07 AM

At some point, usually before I finish the last corner of the binding, I hoop the backing and embroider the information right onto the fabric using by embroidery machine ("Made by ___ for ___, date, place, event, etc). As Betty J indicated tho, everyone doesn't have an embroidery machine - I just did it by hand before I had the emb machine.

Latrinka 06-06-2015 06:34 AM

Sometimes I cross-stitch it, sometimes I use my sewing machine, not embroidery machine, but does do letters/numbers. One of the QB members has a post, think its in the tute forum, about how to do an almost invisible label, not sure if you're interested in that, just FYI.

newbee3 06-06-2015 07:01 AM

I like to pick out a design and do machine embroidery along with the information

cashs_mom 06-06-2015 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by quilterchibb (Post 7218017)
I thought it was a ink jet printer.

The ink in ink jet printers will run. I believe there is special fabric or a treatment to prevent but I don't remember. It's been a long time since I've done it. I'm sure someone else here can fill you in on that.