Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Making a tote out of the dog/cat food bags. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/making-tote-out-dog-cat-food-bags-t162546.html)

COYOTEMAGIC 10-23-2011 06:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
We are making them to sell as a fund raiser for a pet food bank. I use my own at the grocery store and at the mall

Recent bags made
[ATTACH=CONFIG]275829[/ATTACH]

Suzi 10-23-2011 06:29 AM

L-O-V-E this ------- as I breed and raise dogs I have many 40+ of the plastic dog food bags. Will make up a few and take them grocery shopping with me - they certainly are MUCH stronger than the flimsy bags the stores pack for you. YES! Thanks for this .............

QuiltE 10-23-2011 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by COYOTEMAGIC
We are making them to sell as a fund raiser for a pet food bank. I use my own at the grocery store and at the mall

OMG ... even beet pulp!

I don't think we get quite the assortment of pretty bags here in Canada. I must check with those who are buying them ..... and see if I can snag a few, and try making some!

girliegirl 10-23-2011 06:50 AM

thankyou! that is the book that i have and i am looking for right now! want to use these for food store, gardening bag and one to hold dog brushes and what not in .... would like to make some for the spca so they can use them as the bags they use for adoptions!

Originally Posted by phatquilts2
Love your avatar.

I just made one last week-end out of a dog food bag. used the instructions from BHGC "Quilts & More", the Fall 2010 issue.

It is really simple. clean your bag. just wipe it or air it out in the sunshine. use webbing in a length adjustable to hang over your shoulders. you can square out the bottom [just like a regular tote, if you wish].

It is an easy, fun project just a 'novelty'. My bag is over sized, the original bag holds over 40 pounds of food.

QuiltE 10-23-2011 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by girliegirl
thankyou! that is the book that i have and i am looking for right now! want to use these for food store, gardening bag and one to hold dog brushes and what not in .... would like to make some for the spca so they can use them as the bags they use for adoptions!

You have now given me the visualization ..... SPCA putting dog into bag and presenting it to the new "parents"! :)

girliegirl 10-23-2011 06:53 AM

any left overs you can send me... hint hint..

Originally Posted by Suzi
L-O-V-E this ------- as I breed and raise dogs I have many 40+ of the plastic dog food bags. Will make up a few and take them grocery shopping with me - they certainly are MUCH stronger than the flimsy bags the stores pack for you. YES! Thanks for this .............

sandyo 10-23-2011 07:06 AM

I need a dog bag, may just do that, thanks for the help

azwendyg 10-23-2011 07:12 AM

I love these bags and have a cat food bag ready to sew up.

My question is: How do you get the cat food smell out of the bag? I'm wanting to use this for a grocery bag, but sure don't want all my groceries smelling like cat food!

Thanks!

COYOTEMAGIC 10-23-2011 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by azwendyg
I love these bags and have a cat food bag ready to sew up.

My question is: How do you get the cat food smell out of the bag? I'm wanting to use this for a grocery bag, but sure don't want all my groceries smelling like cat food!

Thanks!

Dawn dish soap, hot water, and a splash of vinegar will remove the greasy residue and smells

emt2004 10-23-2011 11:24 AM

The only problem is you will have all the dogs and cats in the neighborhood following you home if you don't get the smell out,lol.....Michele