Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Mary Ellens Best Press--Experience (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/mary-ellens-best-press-experience-t145589.html)

chickiez 08-17-2011 05:22 AM

Can you share the recipe for the Best Press? TIA!!

BellaBoo 08-17-2011 05:34 AM

1 oz cheap vodka for every 1 cup distilled water. It has to be essential oil extracts not the cheaper oil used to scent soaps or candles. I've been using Linen Water I found at Tuesday Mornings store. I added a little vodka to it to add more body to the fabric when I press. Fantastic! I amazed myself at being able to customize my spray for any pressing job.

haylillan 08-17-2011 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
I have been using the "recipe". Works just like ME. I have found it works better in an old ME spray bottle as it has a super fine spray which helps. I like it with 2 small drops of lavender essence. No it does not spot. the vodka, for some unknown reason, gives it the crispness. Vodka comes from potatoes and that would be the starch. Love it!

it works, love the lavender smell

chickiez 08-17-2011 07:11 AM

Thanks so much!! Going to try it!! TFS!!

lenette 08-17-2011 08:17 AM

I never saw the recipe for the spray with vodka. Anyone willing to share it with me? I'm not always the brightest trying to look things up.

katcox 08-17-2011 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by lindasidlow
I started using the Niagara nin aerosol starch. Much cheaper than best press and the same results. $1.87 at Walmart

I just got some a while back and I love this stuff. be a bit careful to much gets really stiff.

scrapcollector 08-17-2011 10:55 AM

The recipe:

2 cups distilled water
2 ounces vodka
2 drops of essential lavender oil * I guess for fragrance, but I am not going to use the lavender. I called the ABC store, and a little bottle of vodka contains 1 1/2 ounce for either 85cents or 1.00 a bottle depending on the kind. Then the distilled water. Lots cheaper and they say it is just like ME Best Press.

KathyKat 08-17-2011 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
I have been using the "recipe". Works just like ME. I have found it works better in an old ME spray bottle as it has a super fine spray which helps. I like it with 2 small drops of lavender essence. No it does not spot. the vodka, for some unknown reason, gives it the crispness. Vodka comes from potatoes and that would be the starch. Love it!

I do the same thing, only use 2 drops of oil and the scent is very nice. Works great and is cheap because I use my husband's vodka and he's never noticed any missing, LOL.

MadQuilter 08-17-2011 11:07 AM

If you put in a little extra Vodka, the silver fish should get really confused and not mess with things. lol

Old hen 08-17-2011 11:23 AM

I'm always amazed at the wonderful "stuff" one finds on this QB. Can't wait to try the recipe, if it doesn't work then I may just have to drink it! :)