Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mary Ellens Best Press--Experience

Hello to everyone. I saw the post yesterday on this wonderful spray. Also, saw the recipe for it. Question is, I like the clear, so I would think I would leave the essential oils out and only use the distilled water and vodka. Whoever, do you smell the vodka? And, does this really and truly work. I also saw where silverfish will come after corn products, does vodka have corn products in it? Any info helpful.

Isn't vodka from potatoes-hence the starch I guess. :) Also I don't think you have a lingering odor. Will watch to see what better informed readers have to say.

Blog Entries
    I make my own and there is no alcohol smell. I don't know about silverfish because they are in higher humidity areas than I live.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    I make my own and there is no alcohol smell. I don't know about silverfish because they are in higher humidity areas than I live.
    Do you leave the oils out ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scrapcollector
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    Do you leave the oils out ?
    Sometimes...It depends what mood I am in.

Blog Entries
    I can smell it when I initially spray it but it does not linger. As far as starch and silverfish, folks on this board say that it does draw them and some adamantly state that it does not. I use starch all the time and have yet to see one silverfish...

Blog Entries
    is this what they call drunken fabric?

Blog Entries
    opps

Blog Entries
    I started using the Niagara nin aerosol starch. Much cheaper than best press and the same results. $1.87 at Walmart

Quote Originally Posted by lindasidlow
    I started using the Niagara nin aerosol starch. Much cheaper than best press and the same results. $1.87 at Walmart
    ditto. I go through too much to spring for ME.

Anything that contains alcohol has to be used within a short period of time or the alcohol evaporates. I got it once and forgot it by a window and found it few weeks later, cloudy and all that was left was water. Now I use the bottle to mix my own.

Blog Entries
    i have to ask---why would you add any oils to your starch???i would think an oil would leave spots on the fabric-
    seems like vodka would be an expensive alternative- my grandmother used niagra starch- i've been using it for over 45 years- and it is inexpensive..i don't quite get looking for more expensive alternatives i guess- and i really don't get adding oil to a starch???
    i hate it when i receive any fabrics that have a perfumy stench to them- firs thing i have to do is wash them to get rid of it before i can do anything with them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    i have to ask---why would you add any oils to your starch???i would think an oil would leave spots on the fabric-
    seems like vodka would be an expensive alternative- my grandmother used niagra starch- i've been using it for over 45 years- and it is inexpensive..i don't quite get looking for more expensive alternatives i guess- and i really don't get adding oil to a starch???
    i hate it when i receive any fabrics that have a perfumy stench to them- firs thing i have to do is wash them to get rid of it before i can do anything with them.
    I put essential oil in my mix once and didn't have a problem but I still worried about it (oil spots on fabric) so I stopped doing it. As far as the vodka goes, if you don't want stiff fabric then thats the way to go because it gets ALL wrinkles out! It's wonderful for that and the cheaper the vodka the better.

Blog Entries
    I have been using the "recipe". Works just like ME. I have found it works better in an old ME spray bottle as it has a super fine spray which helps. I like it with 2 small drops of lavender essence. No it does not spot. the vodka, for some unknown reason, gives it the crispness. Vodka comes from potatoes and that would be the starch. Love it!

klc
    Quote Originally Posted by lindasidlow
    Me too. I liked Mary Ellen's, but can't afford it. I like Niagara's non aerosol and it's price. I've made my own and no it does not smell and I have not had a problem with silverfish.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The essential oil are used for fragrance..they will NOT make spots if you do the recipe correctly..the vodka breaks down the oils...they also do not change the color...ie: lavender essential oil is actually yellow, not purple!

What is the recipe for making your own?

I would also like to know the recipe.

Made my own with, water, liquid starch and a little febreze for the scent. Love it and it last forever.

The recipe I use is 2 cups of distilled water (I have used tap water) 2 ounces of Vodka, 2 drops of essential oil (I have left out the oil).

Can you share the recipe for the Best Press? TIA!!

Blog Entries
    1 oz cheap vodka for every 1 cup distilled water. It has to be essential oil extracts not the cheaper oil used to scent soaps or candles. I've been using Linen Water I found at Tuesday Mornings store. I added a little vodka to it to add more body to the fabric when I press. Fantastic! I amazed myself at being able to customize my spray for any pressing job.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hobo2000
    I have been using the "recipe". Works just like ME. I have found it works better in an old ME spray bottle as it has a super fine spray which helps. I like it with 2 small drops of lavender essence. No it does not spot. the vodka, for some unknown reason, gives it the crispness. Vodka comes from potatoes and that would be the starch. Love it!
    it works, love the lavender smell

Thanks so much!! Going to try it!! TFS!!

I never saw the recipe for the spray with vodka. Anyone willing to share it with me? I'm not always the brightest trying to look things up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast