Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 50 of 50

Thread: Mary Ellens Best Press--Experience

  1. #26
    Senior Member katcox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Olympia,Washington
    Posts
    640
    Quote Originally Posted by lindasidlow
    I started using the Niagara nin aerosol starch. Much cheaper than best press and the same results. $1.87 at Walmart
    I just got some a while back and I love this stuff. be a bit careful to much gets really stiff.

  2. #27

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    100
    The recipe:

    2 cups distilled water
    2 ounces vodka
    2 drops of essential lavender oil * I guess for fragrance, but I am not going to use the lavender. I called the ABC store, and a little bottle of vodka contains 1 1/2 ounce for either 85cents or 1.00 a bottle depending on the kind. Then the distilled water. Lots cheaper and they say it is just like ME Best Press.

  3. #28
    Super Member KathyKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,512
    Quote Originally Posted by hobo2000
    I have been using the "recipe". Works just like ME. I have found it works better in an old ME spray bottle as it has a super fine spray which helps. I like it with 2 small drops of lavender essence. No it does not spot. the vodka, for some unknown reason, gives it the crispness. Vodka comes from potatoes and that would be the starch. Love it!
    I do the same thing, only use 2 drops of oil and the scent is very nice. Works great and is cheap because I use my husband's vodka and he's never noticed any missing, LOL.

  4. #29
    Power Poster MadQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    ELVERTA, CA
    Posts
    15,477
    Blog Entries
    1
    If you put in a little extra Vodka, the silver fish should get really confused and not mess with things. lol

  5. #30
    Junior Member Old hen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    189
    I'm always amazed at the wonderful "stuff" one finds on this QB. Can't wait to try the recipe, if it doesn't work then I may just have to drink it! :)

  6. #31
    Super Member Roberta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    China, ME.
    Posts
    2,866
    Blog Entries
    1
    Was the recipe posted on the Board? I'd love to make my own to help save money.

  7. #32
    Junior Member Old hen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta
    Was the recipe posted on the Board? I'd love to make my own to help save money.
    2 C distilled water
    2 oz. vodka
    2 drops essential lavender oil (optional)

  8. #33
    Super Member Roberta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    China, ME.
    Posts
    2,866
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Old hen
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta
    Was the recipe posted on the Board? I'd love to make my own to help save money.
    2 C distilled water
    2 oz. vodka
    2 drops essential lavender oil (optional)
    Thank you so much. This is going to save me so much since we have vodka left over from our housewarming party 10 years ago :lol:

  9. #34
    Super Member sharoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Texas
    Posts
    1,976
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    If you put in a little extra Vodka, the silver fish should get really confused and not mess with things. lol
    LOL!

  10. #35

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    some where West of the Mississippi
    Posts
    137
    When you work in the theatre in the costume dept. , you use vodka to spray away the sweat and body odors of costumes that can not be laundered ever. These are often costumes and fabrics that have already had a life on broadway and are now touring the country in shows. The smell is minimal and does not last but does work very well in eliminating odor without changing colors.

  11. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Marengo, Iowa
    Posts
    801
    Blog Entries
    1
    Where can I find the recipe for this starch?

  12. #37

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by scrapcollector
    The recipe:

    2 cups distilled water
    2 ounces vodka
    2 drops of essential lavender oil * I guess for fragrance, but I am not going to use the lavender. I called the ABC store, and a little bottle of vodka contains 1 1/2 ounce for either 85cents or 1.00 a bottle depending on the kind. Then the distilled water. Lots cheaper and they say it is just like ME Best Press.
    The Recipe

  13. #38
    Junior Member oldcottontop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by SharBear
    Quote Originally Posted by lindasidlow
    I started using the Niagara nin aerosol starch. Much cheaper than best press and the same results. $1.87 at Walmart
    ditto. I go through too much to spring for ME.
    I get mine at the $Tree for 1$. Use a lot of starch and I don't starch mine until I am working on it....

  14. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Marengo, Iowa
    Posts
    801
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by scrapcollector
    Quote Originally Posted by scrapcollector
    The recipe:

    2 cups distilled water
    2 ounces vodka
    2 drops of essential lavender oil * I guess for fragrance, but I am not going to use the lavender. I called the ABC store, and a little bottle of vodka contains 1 1/2 ounce for either 85cents or 1.00 a bottle depending on the kind. Then the distilled water. Lots cheaper and they say it is just like ME Best Press.
    The Recipe

    Thanks,Scrapcollector. Gotta try. No idea what I'll do w/ the rest of the vodka. I personally don't like it. Hmmm, maybe I can find someone who does and borrow a couple of oz. LOL They'll think I'm nuts for sure.

  15. #40
    Power Poster MadQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    ELVERTA, CA
    Posts
    15,477
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by sosewbusy
    When you work in the theatre in the costume dept. , you use vodka to spray away the sweat and body odors of costumes that can not be laundered ever.
    Universal Studios uses it too to disinfect the big costumes that can't be laundered or dry cleaned.

  16. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Marengo, Iowa
    Posts
    801
    Blog Entries
    1
    Use what, the vodka or the starch? LOL

  17. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    722
    Marge---just buy one of those sample type bottles of vodka. I.5 ounces to 1.5 cups of distilled water, then you won't have a bunch leftover.

  18. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    10
    I missed the recipe for this. How much Vodka to how much water?

  19. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    10
    Ok, I just didn't read far enough.

  20. #45
    Power Poster Sadiemae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    11,450
    Blog Entries
    20
    I googled and the Silverfish love starch, but they also like humidity that is 75% and above. Unless there is a water leak or something similiar we don't have to worry about them here.

  21. #46
    Super Member madamekelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Central Willamette Valley, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    6,830
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by lindasidlow
    I started using the Niagara nin aerosol starch. Much cheaper than best press and the same results. $1.87 at Walmart
    I use Niagara Sizing. No worries.

  22. #47
    BMP
    BMP is offline
    Super Member BMP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,504
    Blog Entries
    4
    thanks

  23. #48
    Power Poster debcavan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Spring Green,WI
    Posts
    14,630
    For us Non arisol people there is also Dryel which is available at Walmart and is sizing.

  24. #49
    Senior Member merchjag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    PENNSYLVANIA
    Posts
    470
    You don't smell the vodka,just the essential oil that you use. I used lavender.

  25. #50
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    western arkansas
    Posts
    1,691
    Quote Originally Posted by lindasidlow
    I started using the Niagara nin aerosol starch. Much cheaper than best press and the same results. $1.87 at Walmart
    Me too. I use starch for quilting, but I also use a lot to iron my husbands shirts that I make from quilt fabrics.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.