Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Mary Ellen's Best Press problem (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/mary-ellens-best-press-problem-t275848.html)

KayMarie 02-18-2016 05:05 AM

Mary Ellen's Best Press problem

Has anyone had an issue with Best Press dissolving furniture finishes? I had some peaches and cream in a spray bottle that had drizzled down the edge of the bottle. I didn't notice it for several days. When I picked it up the finish on the cherry table had dissolved into a gooey liquid. It took all of the finish completely off. Now I'm worried about what this might be doing to my fabrics as I don't always rinse it out. I've emailed the company, but no response. Has this happened to anyone else or has anyone noticed a problem with fabric over time?
Thanks for any info you can give me.

Onebyone 02-18-2016 05:55 AM

I quit buying Best Press because the company refuses to list the ingredients. I'd be interested to know if the company responds to your email.

ScubaK 02-18-2016 07:44 AM

That's scary...
Kirsten

catsden 02-18-2016 08:00 AM

I had never used best press before and won a bottle at guild. I used it and found that I had breathing problems every time I was using it. Will not use it again. It was the peaches & cream. I now use the bottle for my stand by starch/water mixture. Will not use best press again.

ManiacQuilter2 02-18-2016 08:35 AM

I have never tried it because it is expensive. That is very scary if it removes a finish off a piece of furniture!

Kitsie 02-18-2016 09:18 AM

Yes, ridiculous price! I bought a (plastic!) bottle of vodka (used for making homemade BP) for $5.99 and it will last me the rest of my life! And will not melt my table (or will help ease my sorrow if it does!)

EasyPeezy 02-18-2016 09:46 AM

I don't care for the smell and it didn't do anything to my fabric.
In fact my fabric was more limp than before using it. I make my
own starch and I'm happy.

EasyPeezy 02-18-2016 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie (Post 7469391)
Yes, ridiculous price! I bought a (plastic!) bottle of vodka (used for making homemade BP) for $5.99 and it will last me the rest of my life! And will not melt my table (or will help ease my sorrow if it does!)

Kitsie, I like the way you think.:thumbup:

tessagin 02-18-2016 09:50 AM

I have the spray starch in a can, a can of sizing and the Sta-Flo which I dilute. Just going near the Best Press makes me sneeze and that's just on the shelf in the store. I thought it was too pricey even with a coupon. not worth the headache.

true4uca 02-18-2016 10:46 AM

Wow, this is good to know. I was going to try it when this can of spray starch is gone. The last time I bought spray starch I bought 4 cans less than $2.00 each. As I started using my last one thought I'd better pick up more. Our super Walmart has 4 cans, now $5.97 a can. That is all the starch I can find in town. Stay flo , I've never seen. I did try some from the dollar (the only other place I've seen spray starch). I've tried twice and shortly after it just stops spraying. Lots of product in can.