Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mary Ellen's Best Press problem

Mary Ellen's Best Press problem

Has anyone had an issue with Best Press dissolving furniture finishes? I had some peaches and cream in a spray bottle that had drizzled down the edge of the bottle. I didn't notice it for several days. When I picked it up the finish on the cherry table had dissolved into a gooey liquid. It took all of the finish completely off. Now I'm worried about what this might be doing to my fabrics as I don't always rinse it out. I've emailed the company, but no response. Has this happened to anyone else or has anyone noticed a problem with fabric over time?
    Thanks for any info you can give me.

I quit buying Best Press because the company refuses to list the ingredients. I'd be interested to know if the company responds to your email.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

That's scary...
    Kirsten
    I try and be as good of a human as my dogs think I am.

I had never used best press before and won a bottle at guild. I used it and found that I had breathing problems every time I was using it. Will not use it again. It was the peaches & cream. I now use the bottle for my stand by starch/water mixture. Will not use best press again.

I have never tried it because it is expensive. That is very scary if it removes a finish off a piece of furniture!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    Yes, ridiculous price! I bought a (plastic!) bottle of vodka (used for making homemade BP) for $5.99 and it will last me the rest of my life! And will not melt my table (or will help ease my sorrow if it does!)
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

I don't care for the smell and it didn't do anything to my fabric.
    In fact my fabric was more limp than before using it. I make my
    own starch and I'm happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
    Yes, ridiculous price! I bought a (plastic!) bottle of vodka (used for making homemade BP) for $5.99 and it will last me the rest of my life! And will not melt my table (or will help ease my sorrow if it does!)
    Kitsie, I like the way you think.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have the spray starch in a can, a can of sizing and the Sta-Flo which I dilute. Just going near the Best Press makes me sneeze and that's just on the shelf in the store. I thought it was too pricey even with a coupon. not worth the headache.

Blog Entries
    Wow, this is good to know. I was going to try it when this can of spray starch is gone. The last time I bought spray starch I bought 4 cans less than $2.00 each. As I started using my last one thought I'd better pick up more. Our super Walmart has 4 cans, now $5.97 a can. That is all the starch I can find in town. Stay flo , I've never seen. I did try some from the dollar (the only other place I've seen spray starch). I've tried twice and shortly after it just stops spraying. Lots of product in can.
    True4uca

I sew with several different groups, and when there is a retreat, a bottle of Best Press sits on the end of the ironing board. Sometimes I am the one who contributes the Best Press, but I always buy unscented. Some members have mentioned that they prefer or dislike a particular scent, but so far, I have not heard any comments about it being detrimental to fabric over the long term. I have noticed that the metal cabinets behind my ironing board are gummy from the Best Press overspray.

People swear by it but I found it to be utterly useless as a starch. It does release wrinkles - BUT so will water. However, I have to confess I keep a bottle around just for the scent - the Linen scent is so good I actually ironed bed sheets for the first time in my life. : )

Stay Flo or homemade is best and both are non-aerosol (mix cornstarch with boiling water and add cheap vodka once cooled to prevent mold. Store in the refrigerator for longer shelf-life).
    'Tacky' does not necessarily refer to the quality of adhesiveness.

I'm with Kitsie!

I only use Best Press when I get one as a gift -- it gives me a headache. I make the Sta Flow -- I do a couple of strengths so if I need super stiff fabric (when I am working with biases) I can use one and the lighter one for pressing just washed fabric.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Blog Entries
    I purchased a bottle of best press no scent. I don't feel it makes any difference to the fabric after spraying. I do sneeze after using it.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    I only buy the unscented Best Press. I would never set a container of any liquid on a piece of wood furniture.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

I tried both scented and unscented versions of BP when they first came out. The scents bothered me, so I stopped using those. You can use JA coupons to keep the cost down. The BP can be diluted with water; the amount is up to you. It may not provide the same stiffness as starch does, but it is just right for me.

I've never had a problem with using Best Press....no headaches from fumes, but then again I only use the clear and not the scented such as Peaches and Cream or the Lavender Maybe the problems start with the scents.

Quote Originally Posted by true4uca View Post
    Wow, this is good to know. I was going to try it when this can of spray starch is gone. The last time I bought spray starch I bought 4 cans less than $2.00 each. As I started using my last one thought I'd better pick up more. Our super Walmart has 4 cans, now $5.97 a can. That is all the starch I can find in town. Stay flo , I've never seen. I did try some from the dollar (the only other place I've seen spray starch). I've tried twice and shortly after it just stops spraying. Lots of product in can.
    Try running hot water over the little sprayer. Sometimes the starch dries in that tiny hole. Or soak it with the can upside down in a bow/pan/bucket.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Blog Entries
    Interesting. I have used best press for years with no problems! I actually prefer it over spray starch. But that is a major bummer about your table, though. I wonder if spray starch dissolves finishes also? I guess I need to be more careful where I set things that could leak!
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

Blog Entries
    I like it but would love the vodka recipe. I can't find it anymore! I also like Magic Sizing from the grocery store!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Blog Entries
    Yes, I've had starch remove the finish on a nightstand and it wasn't Best Press. I didn't realize that it had leaked down the side and it took the finish off. This can happen with any liquid that stands for a day or two.I now use a coaster under any liquid I use. I use Best Press and love it. I buy by the gallon jug at Walmart. I love the smell of the lavender and it makes my fabric stiff enough to do what I need I don't have any sticking or white residue .Supposedly it won't attract bugs and that important to me. Sometimes after I wash a quilt I will iron and starch it to give it a fresh look. I haven't had any bug problems but can't guarantee it's because of the best press. Everyone has their likes and dislikes, allergies and so on so you have to judge for yourself. One Best Press advocate. Good luck with whatever you decide to use but remember to protect your furniture.

I use BP all the time, Lavender is my favorite. I buy it at Joanns when I have a 40% off discount and buy the gallon jug. It can also be diluted. I'm not surprised but sorry for you that it took finish off. I would have expected that. and yes the overspray is gummy. again, not surprised. This is not water you are using. I feel like it starches my fabric with a wonderful feel. I understand some people have a sensitivity to the smell. I love it!

If there is a product that can damage wood furniture, I've probably done it. Even water can ruin cherry wood's finish. I would worry much more if BP or any fabric spray damaged Formica or tile or a non-wood counter top.

And yes, I love BP with the lightest scent only. But I did have a hand-dyed red fabric bleed across the seam line of a scrappy quilt when I failed to press it soon after spraying.

Best Press is sizing - not starch. I use Magic Sizing in the green can and it works great. I don't use starch because I live in south Florida and starch is a food source for critters. And we have enough problems keeping critters out without ringing the dinner bell!! LOL!! Sizing is not a food source so I don't worry about using it and leaving it in the fabric. But the only place I can find it is Winn-Dixie. Everyone else only has the blue can and not as good. You can get your fabric really stiff with repeated sprayings and ironing in between. My 2 cents worth.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast