Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Mattress preferences (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/mattress-preferences-t128901.html)

sonisew 06-08-2011 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
We have a Temperpedic bed, it is what they call a memory foam mattress. It is so comfy.

I have a Temperpedic bed also and love it.We had a pillow top mattress but the mattress became uneven and uncomfortable.

sewgull 06-08-2011 04:56 AM

Sleep Number Mattress - I highly recommond. They are a little pricey but well worth the cost. We have one at home and one in our motorhome. I am not the best sleeper at night, but since the Sleep Number mattress came in to my life I get a good nights rest every night. Also, good sleeping when we travel.
This mattress is adjustable on both sides, I have a different setting than my husband. DOES NOT get hollow spots where you lay like some of the pillow top or Temperpedic foam mattresses do.

Wishing you a good nights sleep.

pipp5 06-08-2011 05:12 AM

I love my Temperpedic. I had such bad back problems that I used to have to roll out of bed to my knees to get up in the morning. That was on a pillow top and after a few years we had a bed with hills and valleys. If you got too close to the middle, you felt like you were struggling to keep from rolling down hill all night. Since we got the Temperpedic about 7 years ago, my back pain has not returned.

ontheriver 06-08-2011 05:31 AM

We have a sleep number mattress. I sleep great, each side can be set to your preference.

Prism99 06-08-2011 07:29 AM

My favorite brand is Stearns and Foster, but avoid their top-of-the-line. I find a little below tol to be their very best.

We have a pillowtop this time and I do not recommend a pillowtop. It will develop hollows even when the mattress underneath does not. If you can't find a mattress with good support that has a soft top, then I recommend adding a foam topper that you can replace as it wears out.

I also do not recommend getting an ultra-thick mattress (like the S&F top-of-the-line). In my opinion it adds negatives. The mattress gets heavier so you are less likely to rotate it. Biggest drawback is that it becomes harder to find bottom sheets that will fit the mattress and, when you do find them, they are very expensive and never on sale. I would be happier with a more standard width mattress!

We tried a sleep-by-number because I have back problems. I liked it, but my dh absolutely could not stand it. It is a lot of work, but he packed it up and returned the whole thing. Not sure, but I think it was the sound of the mattress he could not tolerate. He did reject several other standard type mattresses because of the way they were made, I think with inter-connected springs. He can't stand the sound they make when someone moves. It was easy for him to eliminate these just by lying down and moving around on the mattress in the store.

Furza Flyin 06-08-2011 07:39 AM

We stayed in a hotel with a full size sleep number. NO SLEEP at all. There was only one airbladder in the full size and everytime my DH moved (he is 6'1" I am almost 5') I would go rolling off the edge. It was worse than a waterbed.

noahscats7 06-08-2011 08:52 AM

Boy, can I ever confirm that pillow tops form a DEEP impression where you lay. Ours measured 11" deep when we laid a yardstick across it and measured the depth. We were able to return it for a credit and get a different kind. So that being said...you don't want one.

sewwhat85 06-08-2011 09:07 AM

i have a sleep number bed and love it

bearisgray 06-08-2011 09:16 AM

Good topic.

I'm weird. Sometimes I can fall asleep on the floor in about 10 seconds.

Other times, I toss and turn all night trying to get more-or-less comfortable. (And then, when I finally do, DH decides he has had his nap for the evening on the couch and then decides to come to bed! :roll: :hunf: )

I was wondering about the Temperpedic - I'm short and heavy and he's skinny - and we only have room for a double bed.

cjomomma 06-08-2011 10:06 AM

I have Serta posture pedic and love it. We have had it for 17 years. I always catch my kids lying on our bed during the day because they love how it feels.