Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   A Mental approach to sewing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/mental-approach-sewing-t243344.html)

2manyhobbies 03-16-2014 06:14 PM

A Mental approach to sewing

I know some of you have seen this, but if you haven't it will make you smile:

The Mental Approach To Sewing, Singer Sewing Machine Manual, 1949

"Prepare yourself mentally for sewing. Think about what you are going to do...never approach sewing with a sigh or lackadaisically. Good results are difficult when indifference predominates. Never try to sew with a sink full of dishes or beds unmade. When there are urgent housekeeping chores, do these first so your mind is free to enjoy your sewing. When you sew, make yourself as attractive as possible. Put on a clean dress. Keep a little bag full of French chalk near your sewing machine to dust your fingers at intervals. Have your hair in order, powder and lipstick put on with care ... if you are constantly fearful that a visitor will drop in or your husband will come home and you will not look neatly put together, you will not enjoy your sewing.

Doggramma 03-16-2014 06:26 PM

So funny but true! That's certainly the way I was raised in the 50's. Thankfully we've come a long way baby!

Stitchnripper 03-16-2014 06:28 PM

That is totally my approach in how I sew ....NOT!! Reminds me of June Cleaver

GrammieJan 03-16-2014 06:48 PM

Good grief!! If I had to wait that long I would never get any sewing done.
How quaint sounding, and funny! Thanks for the laugh.
I bought my first sewing machine in 1951 or 52, it was a Singer Featherweight but no message like that one was in the manual.

dunster 03-16-2014 07:03 PM

If my husband came home and found me in a dress with the beds made and house cleaning done, powder and lipstick on - he would think he was in the wrong house!

Skratchie 03-16-2014 07:06 PM

Call me crazy but for me, there is some degree of truth to this. I sew in my master bedroom and if it's a wreck, I cannot concentrate on my sewing.

Jeanne S 03-16-2014 07:11 PM

What a hoot! Thanks for sharing!!!

jfowles 03-16-2014 08:51 PM

And here I thought I was fine in my jammies and bedhead hair

GrannieAnnie 03-16-2014 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by 2manyhobbies (Post 6630178)
I know some of you have seen this, but if you haven't it will make you smile:

The Mental Approach To Sewing, Singer Sewing Machine Manual, 1949

"Prepare yourself mentally for sewing. Think about what you are going to do...never approach sewing with a sigh or lackadaisically. Good results are difficult when indifference predominates. Never try to sew with a sink full of dishes or beds unmade. When there are urgent housekeeping chores, do these first so your mind is free to enjoy your sewing. When you sew, make yourself as attractive as possible. Put on a clean dress. Keep a little bag full of French chalk near your sewing machine to dust your fingers at intervals. Have your hair in order, powder and lipstick put on with care ... if you are constantly fearful that a visitor will drop in or your husband will come home and you will not look neatly put together, you will not enjoy your sewing.

I'd never touch a machine if I worried about all that. I'd rather sew than comb my hair.

GrannieAnnie 03-16-2014 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 6630266)
If my husband came home and found me in a dress with the beds made and house cleaning done, powder and lipstick on - he would think he was in the wrong house!

Or check the closets to see what I was really hiding!