Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: A Mental approach to sewing

A Mental approach to sewing

I know some of you have seen this, but if you haven't it will make you smile:

The Mental Approach To Sewing, Singer Sewing Machine Manual, 1949

"Prepare yourself mentally for sewing. Think about what you are going to do...never approach sewing with a sigh or lackadaisically. Good results are difficult when indifference predominates. Never try to sew with a sink full of dishes or beds unmade. When there are urgent housekeeping chores, do these first so your mind is free to enjoy your sewing. When you sew, make yourself as attractive as possible. Put on a clean dress. Keep a little bag full of French chalk near your sewing machine to dust your fingers at intervals. Have your hair in order, powder and lipstick put on with care ... if you are constantly fearful that a visitor will drop in or your husband will come home and you will not look neatly put together, you will not enjoy your sewing.
    Last edited by 2manyhobbies; 03-16-2014 at 06:16 PM.

So funny but true! That's certainly the way I was raised in the 50's. Thankfully we've come a long way baby!
    Lori

That is totally my approach in how I sew ....NOT!! Reminds me of June Cleaver
    Alyce

Good grief!! If I had to wait that long I would never get any sewing done.
    How quaint sounding, and funny! Thanks for the laugh.
    I bought my first sewing machine in 1951 or 52, it was a Singer Featherweight but no message like that one was in the manual.
    Last edited by GrammieJan; 03-16-2014 at 06:53 PM.

If my husband came home and found me in a dress with the beds made and house cleaning done, powder and lipstick on - he would think he was in the wrong house!

Call me crazy but for me, there is some degree of truth to this. I sew in my master bedroom and if it's a wreck, I cannot concentrate on my sewing.

What a hoot! Thanks for sharing!!!

And here I thought I was fine in my jammies and bedhead hair
    groovey

Quote Originally Posted by 2manyhobbies View Post
    I know some of you have seen this, but if you haven't it will make you smile:

The Mental Approach To Sewing, Singer Sewing Machine Manual, 1949

"Prepare yourself mentally for sewing. Think about what you are going to do...never approach sewing with a sigh or lackadaisically. Good results are difficult when indifference predominates. Never try to sew with a sink full of dishes or beds unmade. When there are urgent housekeeping chores, do these first so your mind is free to enjoy your sewing. When you sew, make yourself as attractive as possible. Put on a clean dress. Keep a little bag full of French chalk near your sewing machine to dust your fingers at intervals. Have your hair in order, powder and lipstick put on with care ... if you are constantly fearful that a visitor will drop in or your husband will come home and you will not look neatly put together, you will not enjoy your sewing.
    I'd never touch a machine if I worried about all that. I'd rather sew than comb my hair.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    If my husband came home and found me in a dress with the beds made and house cleaning done, powder and lipstick on - he would think he was in the wrong house!
    Or check the closets to see what I was really hiding!
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
    That is totally my approach in how I sew ....NOT!! Reminds me of June Cleaver
    June Cleaver sewed?????????????? tee hee!!!!!! I don't think so. She might have dropped a snipped thread on the floor then Ward and the boys would have gone ape.
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    Is this not true to life.?
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    It is funny now but it was the mentality in the 50s. I think that there is a bit of truth there, I do feel more like sewing when the necessary work is done and the house is clean. Not so sure about the powder and lipstick though! If my husband came home and I was sewing- he would cheer me on, he encourages me to spend lots of time in my studio.
    'He cannot be a gentleman which loveth not a dog' -John Northbrooke
    Try to be as nice a person as your dog thinks you are.

I laugh every time I read that article -- yes, times have changed, at least in what is worn as daily wear -- me in a dress to sew, no way -- grew up in the 50s and remember that my mother and her friends did wear dresses then, but they were into pants by the 60s and 70s -- it would be nice to have a clean house though and no guilt feelings about what is not done!!
    diane

Would never get to the sewing part if I followed the above guidelines !!!
    What I make with my hands, I give with my heart.

When I bought my Singer treadle, I enjoyed reading the manual that came with it and it was so different from English that I learned in school. I also have some letters written to my Grandmother from her Grandfather. It is amazing how the basic structure of our language changes slightly over each decade.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    Love this Dunster, made my day !! OMG, thank goodness "we've come a long way, baby".
    Dance like no one is watching

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by callen View Post
    Love this Dunster, made my day !! OMG, thank goodness "we've come a long way, baby".
    Have we? Really? Guess to be fair you'd have to try it the other way first. You might just be pleasantly surprised.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Hair in order ? Pffftttt Jammies, slippers and lucky if I do comb my hair on sewing days !LOL Lipstick ? Who am I gonna impress? the material ? the dog ? the cat? (they both would be rolling in the hallway, laughing till their sides hurt if I did those !LOL-and I thought they were around for my amusement !LOL).

DH would wonder if I had been kidnapped by aliens and replaced if I ever showed up like the description .. Beds made ? with him in it !LOL house cleaning done-hmm .. let me see if the cat and dog have done their chores for the day .. LOL and we all know the answer to that one !LOL LOL LOL :-)
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

I'm often complaining about too many electronic gizmos, distractions and the fast paced world around me. Reading this sure put it in perfect perspective. No wonder my quilts are not prize worthy, I'm not wearing a dress and lipstick while sewing. I grew up in the 50's with a stay at home Mom. Is this really the propaganda women were handed? Reminds me of the old saying "all dressed up and nowhere to go". Guess it was important to give a good impression to hubby, kiddies, Avon and the Fuller Brush Man.

I agree...my DH would definitely think that he had stepped into Stepford !!!!!!!!! and might be tempted to stick a pin in me to see if i "sparked"......
    Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

Blog Entries
    My Mom always wore dresses. Just the way she was brought up. She would be appalled at today's fashions! She didn't mind my wearing pants, though. She just didn't feel comfortable in them. She worked at a place where she HAD to wear pants - but she put on a dress as soon as she came home! Just the opposite from me until I retired and never wore a skirt or dress again!

My high school (in Southern california) didn't allow girls to wear pants or skirts above the knee. Sigh. There was a brief craze when the boys wore their jeans pretty low, risking being 'pantsed'. Use your imagination. If they wore 'regular' pants (usually khaki or white) they wore white bucks. Girls wore bucks with socks to match our outfits.

I'd never get to sew if this was the rule in this house. I go into my sewing room to escape the housework, I never have a problem forgetting about once out of sight. As for the lipstick and hair done, my husband would ask if I had a boyfriend dropping by while he's at work! LOL
    Debra