Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Mom Sayings (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/mom-sayings-t230044.html)

carolaug 08-10-2015 10:55 PM

Whenever we would say Shut up....my father would say "Penny off your allowance..." we only rec'd 50 cents a week and half was to be put a way for christmas presents so a penny was a lot to lose.

DOTTYMO 08-10-2015 11:26 PM

Surprising how sayings are the same across the world. I remember so many of these phrases said by two great granma's , two granma's and my mother, at different times.

toverly 08-11-2015 04:28 AM

Mare's eat oats, and does eat oats, and little lambs eat ivy.
A kid will eat ivy too, wouldn't you?

Also, hold your shoulders up.

juneayerza 08-12-2015 12:10 AM

When my mother was talking to someone about something she didn't want the kids to hear she would say let's go outside "little pictures have big ears" In case someone doesn't understand this, when I was growing up, 'Children were to be seen, not heard'. But as a child, if you were asked something and didn't answer right away, you would be asked 'If the cat got your tongue?' Others would be sayings like 'Waste Not, Want Not', 'Live and let live.' 'Eat you food, there are starving children in China.'

mike'sgirl 08-14-2015 02:27 PM

I love the "laundering his/her bottom" comment about the cat, Bearisgray. I laughed out loud at that one.

mike'sgirl 08-14-2015 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by ItsJustMe (Post 6297163)
"Be sure you're wearing clean underwear when you go out, in case of an accident." Priceless!

Oh this one is so true. You just never know! I had a horse accident and ended up in an ambulance. I was glad mine were in good repair. Lol.

mike'sgirl 08-14-2015 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by debbiemarie (Post 6289361)
...because I said so!
...if everyone else was jumping off a cliff, would you jump too?
...just wait until your Father gets home!!
...don't be so selfish!
...mercy me
...mercy!!
...well, I declare! (yes, she came from Kentucky)
...I can't have anything! (when we broke something)
...the world doesn't revolve around you!

My momma was from Mississippi. She used to say "well I declare!" too. Miss my momma.

Onebyone 08-14-2015 04:49 PM

My grandfather said these all the time:

1.Always go to bed the same day you got up
2.You never forget the price of a piece of junk but will forget the price of a quality item.
3. Don't ever complain your talking dog can't sing.

As a youngster I thought it was nonsense but as an adult I realized he was spot on. I have said these same thing to my kids from day one!

Cherokeequilter 08-15-2015 07:46 PM

The old saying of being a "kill Joy" was popular when I was little. When I was about 5 yrs my brother said I was a kill Joy. I ran off crying so my mother found me & asked why I was hiding in my closet crying. I told her that my brother said he was going to "kill Joy". My name is Joy.